2004 Brakes at 50,000 highway miles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Brakes at 50,000 highway miles?

DaveyNJ

Reaction score
City, State
Monomuth County, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT Sport
Hi all,
Just came back from the dealer for oil change and tire rotation. I was told that I needed brake pads and rotors cut for front and rear. The rotors were not damaged yet they said.

They wanted $240 for each. I have 50,000 mostly highway miles so I found it strange that I needed brakes this soon, nevermind needing FRONT and BACK! I owned an Escape with the same driving habits and the pads were barely touched at 56,000 miles.

My smart buy is up in 6 months anyways so I told them not to do the work.

Is there a good likelihood that they are exagerating? If they aren't exagerating then how much more are they trying to charge me than a local mechanic or a midas shop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

last year i bought new rotors for my 2002. and with 25% discount they were still so very cheap.around $60 each.

Suprised you got that far. Our '02 needed them much sooner. Probably do front and rear yourself for under $100.

I have 53,000 on my '04 with original pads. 6 months ago I was in for an oil change (was out of town) and they told me I was going to need pads in about 2 more oil changes. I asked him if he pulled my wheels to inspect them, and he said no he just checked them by looking through the wheels. I got a laugh out of this- I don't think you can do an honest brake assessment without pulling the wheels. Anyway, I pulled my wheels and checked them myself and they have about 3/16" of pad left. So yes they are worn but not desperately so.

I don't know yet what I am going to do about the rotors. I guess I need to put the caliper on them and check the thickness. Or maybe I will just replace them...

I suggest pulling your wheels and taking a look for yourself. Its quite easy to see how much pad is left.

if were you i would not go back to that dealer again i wave an 04 with 72,000+ with the orginal pads and still have over half of a pad left. do like jason said check them yourself if they are still good call the ford field rep and report them about the dealings

That sounds early to me, I only have 21K on my 02, and the pads look new, of course.
My mom's 2000 mountaineer has 80K miles on the original pads, still going strong.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses... I doubt I need brakes either. I will check or have a friend's mechanic check the pads. If the dealer was lying I will ***** up a storm... I just bought a 2006 Mustang at this same dealer. And I was thinking of getting a new Explorer there when my Smart Buy is up...and the salesman knows that. The general manager of the place had a very long and friendly conversation and he gave me his card when I bought the Stang. I might have to use it... do these service manager guys get a cut of the sales?

Thanks Again!
David

do these service manager guys get a cut of the sales?

Thanks Again!
David

Yes they do get a commission on sales. Or my brother in law always has.
If I was you, I would stay on this forum and learn all I could about my vehicle. It has saved me a bunch of money, and stopped some of the BS when you do go in to have something looked at if you know what your talking about with them. Sometimes I think the service manager is clue less. The mechanics will generally give you the straight scoop. The guy at our parts counter does too.

Dave

My 04 has 47K miles on it.....I pulled the wheels the other day, and mine are getting worn down, I'm gonna change mine in the spring. I haven't been driving it that much anyway. A lot of your wear depends on your driving habits.

Hi all,
I have 50,000 mostly highway miles so I found it strange that I needed brakes this soon, nevermind needing FRONT and BACK! I owned an Escape with the same driving habits and the pads were barely touched at 56,000 miles.

i dont believe your going to need front AND rear pads, thats just not rite. it might be very possible that you need the fronts done, One because the explorer is nearly 1500 lbs MORE than the escape u previously owned, and 2, you living in NJ, there is no way you can be light on the brakes in this great state :)

BTW i had a 2001 escape, and got nearly 85K on the front Pads, and when i did replace the pads, they were really not that bad, it was the rotors that were warn really bad.

Back