2004 Exlorer 4.6 Rear Differential - Rant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Exlorer 4.6 Rear Differential - Rant

V8_NBX

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 NBX
I've owned my 2004 Explorer NBX V8 since new. I've had rear differential problems starting with a leak at around 19k miles. It's been down hill since; between additional leaks, complete rebuilds and clutch pack failure. I've got 125k miles on it now. As many of you already know the above repairs equates to THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. I had the dealer perform all of the repairs. They helped me out a few times with some out of warranty repair work they got Ford to cover. That's all well and good, but guess what... The limited slip clutches need to be replaced AGAIN and the rear end is howling.

How long can I run this truck with doing NOTHING and just drive it until the rear differential just will not work anymore?

I'm very frustrated with having to fix the same rear diff problems over and over and over again. Oh and did I mention the tranny had to be replaced at 74k miles? It's time to dump this thing but I'd like to get through the winter with it.

Thanks for listening.

I've owned my 2004 Explorer NBX V8 since new. I've had rear differential problems starting with a leak at around 19k miles. It's been down hill since; between additional leaks, complete rebuilds and clutch pack failure. I've got 125k miles on it now. As many of you already know the above repairs equates to THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. I had the dealer perform all of the repairs. They helped me out a few times with some out of warranty repair work they got Ford to cover. That's all well and good, but guess what... The limited slip clutches need to be replaced AGAIN and the rear end is howling.

How long can I run this truck with doing NOTHING and just drive it until the rear differential just will not work anymore?

I'm very frustrated with having to fix the same rear diff problems over and over and over again. Oh and did I mention the tranny had to be replaced at 74k miles? It's time to dump this thing but I'd like to get through the winter with it.

Thanks for listening.

I LIKE listening! Regarding the Limited Slip clutches: you can drive the thing forever with slipping clutches, just like a diff. without limited slip. If AWD, L.S. is a "nice" feature, is all.

Second, it sounds as though some sort of serious out-of-production specs. in it's original maching/casting requirements. That could explain repetitive failure of repair attempts. You could probably fix it once and for all by replacing the entire differential center-section casting. If the noise is not excessive, it just might get you through winter as-is. imp

Just my opinion.

Back