2004 Explorer/ #2 cylinder has no compression | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer/ #2 cylinder has no compression

Sharleen

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
My 2004 Explorer has no compression on the #2 cylinder, Running rough from 0 to 1000 rpm's. I was diagnosed with it having head problems. Does this sound right or do or did anyone else have this problem??
These guys are estimating it at a 11 hour job with $100.00 a hour labor. Any info would be great. THANKS

$100 an hour labor?!

That's HIGH, even higher than the dealership (usually $80-$90 hr. flat rate)

Maybe in NJ (really).

NO compression? How many miles? Did they check the basics like spark?(dead plug, bad wire, coil).

Even with a bad head gasket it should have some compression.

Even with a bad head gasket it should have some compression.

"No compression" may be a relative term. But it is entirely possible to have zero compression from several different possibilities. However, I do tend to agree with you if it's a head gasket.

11 hours sounds very reasonable to me. $100 an hour sounds steep...but it could be the going rate in your area. However, I would sure expect that to be from a dealership and not an independent shop. Dealerships spend tens of thousands of dollars every year to update their tools and training to their techs. It is a very rare independent shop that can make that kind of investment. I would question that rate if it's an independent and maybe do some shopping around or negotiating.

Back