• Register Today It's free!

2004 won't start

First Time Ford

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I have put a new battery and starter into my 2004 Explorer and it still won't start. I can jump the battery terminal to the ignition terminal on the solenoid and the starter engages. Can anyone save me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is the alternator?

The alternator seems to be fine the last time I had it running. With a new battery and a starter you would think it would at least turn over. This web site has proven to be very useful. Looking through the forums I ran across a thread from a person who had the same problem. The thread I found was posted on 12-30-2007 by Azzy. The PATS, Passive Anti Theft System, locked the starting system done. He had to pay to have his keys reset. I wasn't even aware the vehicle even had such a system, and also not aware how to work with it. I also found a pdf file on the PATS with alot of info at www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/files/010602.pdf Is resetting the key something that I can do myself, or do I need to take it into the dealer? Is there any easy way around the PATS system thats not so Greek, and is the PATS system something that I can permanently bypass?

Oh yeah, Thanks for the quick response.

Good call BrooklynBay! Well, there are about 3 threads right now with this issue, all 3rd gens. I believe you can do it yourself, but most people seem to go to the dealer. If you search PATS programming, you should find the answer there too. (I'm going to post this link in the other two threads).

My 2004 ranger won't start and cranks like it wants too but just doesn't. At first I thought it was a switch under my clutch but that didn't help. I opened my fuse box and noticed some of the fuses weren't tightly seated, so I just pressed down on them. I turned the key and immediately it started. You may want to try this prior to having someone change your fuel pump and do major testing electrically.

May want to check you inertia switch if it is a fuel problem. Check the link in my signature.

Thanks

Thanks Jlsparky7, hopefully my problem won't come back and your U-Tube makes it easy to explain. I am going fishing tomorrow so if truck acts up again I will look at that switch.

Back