2004 XLT sport loose lug nuts??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 XLT sport loose lug nuts???

coloradoguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer XLT sport
Ok guys scary story,
Was heading to Steamboat Springs with the family for a ski weekend, started to feel a tire vibration about 30 miles out of town, got worse and ended up in BIG O tire store in Frisco, Coloraodo. Turns out the left front whee; would have fallen off pretty shortly, all the lug nut were loose, the right front wheel lug nuts were only 65 ft-lbs per the shop torque wrench; rear wheels were tight and OK.

The tires were new spring 2012 and had just been rotated in October 2012 (bout 3000 miles) by the ford shop.

Of course i assumed the shop didn't torque the front lug nuts properly.

Got back home a few days later and had my friend check the torque on the lug nuts with his tool, front left was only 50 ft-lbs, front right was ~65 ft-lbs and the back tires OK????

Have asked the ford shop WTF??? They say "haven't ever seen this" but I have evidence many 2004 explorers have had tires fall off.

The alloy wheels don't look that bad (left front it a bit compromised from being loose.

Thoughts on fixing this safety issue??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of condition are the threads on the wheel studs?

You should always re-torque lug nuts a couple hundred miles after wheels have been put on, and periodically after that. Even torqued properly, they may come loose, especially with aluminum wheels since the metal expands and contracts at a greater rate than steel. This is standard maintenance, and is probably even mentioned in your owner's manual. I'm glad you didn't have any major issues and were able to catch it before the wheel fell off.

Good luck with it in the future.

What shape are ypur rims is? The rims on my 05 are corroding. As the aluminum deteriorates the lug nuts will loosten up. A co-worker of mine had to replace his because they were so bad.

Ok guys scary story,
Have asked the ford shop WTF??? They say "haven't ever seen this" but I have evidence many 2004 explorers have had tires fall off.

The alloy wheels don't look that bad (left front it a bit compromised from being loose.

Thoughts on fixing this safety issue??

I would make sure the wheel studs are still good, with good, deep threads that are undamaged. If damaged in any way, get new wheel studs installed. Buy new lug nuts and see if it happens again, with them loosening up like the old ones did. If they do loosen up, try a little amount of thread locker on the wheel stud threads and re-torque the new lug nuts to specs. If none of this works, I would look at the rim as the source of the problem as someone else mentioned. BTW, till you get this problem sorted out, keep checking the torque on your lug nuts every few days or so many miles.

I know this sounds wrong but put a little motor oil on your lug studs before putting the nuts back on and it will help them "sieze" in place, used to have problems with a dually for a bout 1500 miles after rotating tires until i started doing this now i check them once about 100 miles after rotation and then they stay tight.

THANKS for the info

thanks for the info all. Still no word from the ford garage??

to answer a few questions the studs look in "OK" shape, left front were nicked a bit with the loose wheel and a bit of corrosion from the colorado mag chloride ant 113K of use.

Just got my own torque wrench. Haven't driven much until I solve the root cause. I am thinking of (in order of priority/certainty):

-Having wheels balanced and examined by ford (michelins new spring 2012 from Ford)
-replacing all studs
-getting all new lug nuts (suggestions on source/type)
-Maybe replacing front wheel bearing while I'm at it (is this reasonable)
-Maybe putting blue loctite on the threads when rotating wheels going forward? (shouldn't have to but ....)

THoughts on the priority/repair approach??

Best

You don't have to locktite your nuts, replace studs, nuts, wheels or anything else. You just need to perform regular maintenance on your vehicle and check it regularly.

Did you know that truck drivers are required to walk around their vehicle every time they start it to inspect every detail? This includes checking for loose lugnuts. Even properly torqued lugnuts can come loose. If any mechanic told you they have never heard of this happening before, you need to find yourself a different mechanic.

-getting all new lug nuts (suggestions on source/type)
-Maybe putting blue loctite on the threads when rotating wheels going forward? (shouldn't have to but ....)

THoughts on the priority/repair approach??

Best

If you have factory rims, get the OE style lug nut for that rim/wheel. Parts stores carry them for around $2-$3 a piece. Take one off of the vehicle and bring it into the store and they can match it up to the exact one you need. On the Loctite, it is a cheap fix suggestion to your re-occuring loose lug nut problem. If it solves your problem and keeps the lug nuts from coming loose after a short period of time, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying 4 new wheels right? On the front wheel bearing getting replaced, most shops will want to change both of them at the same time, not do only one side.

You just need to perform regular maintenance on your vehicle and check it regularly.

Did you know that truck drivers are required to walk around their vehicle every time they start it to inspect every detail? This includes checking for loose lugnuts. Even properly torqued lugnuts can come loose. If any mechanic told you they have never heard of this happening before, you need to find yourself a different mechanic.

How do you know the OP doesn't do regular maintenance on his vehicle? I was under the impression he did since he took it to Ford to have the tires rotated and again for the loose lug nut problem. He also had his friend check them for him with a torque wrench. Quote from OP>>>>>>The tires were new spring 2012 and had just been rotated in October 2012 (bout 3000 miles) by the ford shop.

Got back home a few days later and had my friend check the torque on the lug nuts with his tool, front left was only 50 ft-lbs, front right was ~65 ft-lbs and the back tires OK????

Have asked the ford shop WTF??? They say "haven't ever seen this" but I have evidence many 2004 explorers have had tires fall off. >>>>>>>>>>>>

His re-occuring loose lug nut problem started after the Oct 2012 Ford tire rotation while on the ski trip, took it to a Big O tire store in Colorado to be repaired, only to have the lug nuts loosen up again just a "few days later" when his friend checked them out for him with a torque wrench after he got home from the ski trip. He then went to Ford again to ask why this keeps happening. What more do you expect this guy to do? I'd say he is trying to keep up and solve the problem, which means he is doing his maintenance on his vehicle. He is also planning on changing the wheel studs and lug nuts and possibly the wheels.
Now on your truck driver reference. Yes, I am familiar with the truck driver (18 wheeler) vehicle inspection process (up to date log book, check tire pressure,system air pressure, brakes, lights, wheels secured, etc,) , but you can't be serious to expect or suggest to us that every truck driver on the road, inspects his vehicle for "every detail", "every time he starts up his truck" during any given day. It just doesn't happen. It is ridiculous to think that they do this. Not enough time in their day to do all of that vehicle inspection each and every time they stop or start the engine during the day. The average truck driver may inspect his truck and trailer once per day, at the start of their day. So by you using the truck driver inspection reference as a general maintenance guide for everyday drivers, are we to believe you inspect your vehicle in a similar fashion each and every time you start up your Explorer every single day? No, of course you don't, no one does! Lets be serious here, the average motorist that takes care of their vehicle, will perform some kind of general maintenance on their vehicle approx every 1-3 months(give or take), unless they have some kind of fluid leak, where they will check that fluid level every few days or so. But most will not check the torque on the lug nuts unless they notice some kind of problem first. I highly doubt you check the torque on your lug nuts everyday, so why would you expect other people to do it?
The bottom line is, all the vehicle maintenance in the world isn't going to solve a "re-occuring", "unseen or unknown" problem such as a loose lug nut issue without trying a few other fixes first, like Loctite, replace lug nuts or wheel studs and then possibly the rims. You have to start some where and if the cheaper fixes solve the problem, that is the way to go.

What is the proper torque for the lug nuts ?

105 ft-lbs.

Back