• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer wont start

Murdawg

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Explorer
I have a 2005 Explorer XLT 4x4 V6. My wife went to start it and released the key before it started. Now it will not start and it smells like it's flooded like cars back when the had carbs. It has done this before and started after setting a few minutes or cracking it a while. It has set for 3 hours now and still will not start. Any ideas on what is wrong or how to get it started? It is our only vehicle. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

in the past i've pulled the plugs and let it dry out. But those engines where cast iron only had spark plugs and wires to worry about. I can't do it with my '04 v8 its a coil over and i'd rather let is sit over night, rather than mess with the coils and plugs. Earlier v8 had problems stripping threads or blowing plugs out. It might cause more harm then good, imo. . . .

But really is shouldn't flood, sounds like you have something else wrong too?

could be crank sensor, check for spark, from your post it seems like you have fuel because of the smell, but to be on safe side auto zone rents fuel pressure guage for free; also you should hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds when you turn on the key. if you have spark and fuel, I would take out the spark plugs and stick something ridgid and soft down a spark pulg hole on each side of engine and spin engine to make sure pistons are going up and down, that would rule out a broken timing chain. how many miles on engine? did you have a check engine light on? did truck idle good?
some time gas guage sensor malfunctions you can try adding some gas and get lucky. good luck

also try disconnecting the battey for a few minutes, and try a different key. maybe your truck is in anti theft mode.

also you can try spraying a small amount of starting fluid thru air cleaner hose and see if trucks starts and shuts off, that would rule out electrical and point me to fuel problem.

I have seen by disconnecting one sensor at a time, the mass air flow sensor, or the Idle air control valve sensor the truck will start,

Back