2005 Ford Explorer Roof Paint Chipping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Ford Explorer Roof Paint Chipping

rcimmino96

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
I just recently bought a 2005 Explorer XLT in extremely good condition and I absolutely love it. After going through the car wash I noticed that the roof needs to be re painted. I want to solve the issue before it starts to rust. So my question is... Is it possible to paint the roof only, and how much would that approximately cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Talk to a Maaco shop for an inexpensive paint.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I have the same issue... but only in a small area of the roof.

My quote was $1400 for the roof and panels at a dealer body shop recently. The left and right sides of the roof after the channel have no break, so the entire panel over the doors and down to the tail lights is one panel that would have to be painted to be covered by warranty. The guy actually told me to take it to a Maaco or other cheap place and have them just paint the middle section of the roof because they will do it and for probably $500 or less.

EDIT: I also have a large rock induced paint chip on the rear side of the sunroof, so basically my entire middle section of roof needs to be painted.

Maaco paint job is inexpensive but remember you get what you pay for.

MAACO charged me $1400 to paint an Aerostar about 20 years ago (so it must cost more by now) and when they got done I asked, "Do you even own sand paper here?"
Thirty days later, the roof rusted through and rain came on the inside of the car.
I would bet on anybody except MAACO!!!

That was a simple, one color, put it back the way it was born, paint job, on an '86 Aerostar painted in '96.

Back