2005 Mountaineer awd, irs swap to a standard rear end set up? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Mountaineer awd, irs swap to a standard rear end set up?

FSBARAK

Reaction score
City, State
S.E.Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB Explorer AW/4WD
Couldn't find any info on this. Here's what I have. '05 Mountaineer awd with independent rear suspension. The differential started clunking occasionally in turns or on soft dirt. I have a '99 donor vehicle, but it does not have the independent suspension.
Is it possible to swap the standard rear end into the irs? I know anything is possible, but is it reasonably simple or obnoxiously complicated?

Couldn't find any info on this. Here's what I have. '05 Mountaineer awd with independent rear suspension. The differential started clunking occasionally in turns or on soft dirt. I have a '99 donor vehicle, but it does not have the independent suspension.
Is it possible to swap the standard rear end into the irs? I know anything is possible, but is it reasonably simple or obnoxiously complicated?
afaik no? the carriers aint the same i know that. afaik from whatbi remember the irs
8.8 and the solod azle 8.8 is different. see the link. there are differences but theyncould be overcome it seems

afaik no? the carriers aint the same i know that. afaik from whatbi remember the irs
8.8 and the solod azle 8.8 is different. see the link. there are differences but theyncould be overcome it seems

I guess I could have been a little clearer. What I want to do is ditch the irs and put the entire standard rear end, housing, diff., brakes, etc, in the Merc. I honestly hadn't thought of just swapping internals.

I guess I could have been a little clearer. What I want to do is ditch the irs and put the entire standard rear end, housing, diff., brakes, etc, in the Merc. I honestly hadn't thought of just swapping internals.
not sure, ir doesnt seem like kt would work witbout major mod, considering the nature of the design, however i aint sure

Back