High Mileage 02 Mountaineer awd v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage 02 Mountaineer awd v8

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Well now that my baby (2003 mountaineer awd v8) is out of the picture (and has been since august) courtesy of a bimbo on a cell phone in her BMW, I've been tossing around what kind of ex/mounty i want to get next.

I picked up a 98 5.0 for $1000 back in september to eventually replace the 93 XLT. While I like the rigidness of the 2nd gen and the relentless 5.0 & 4r70w combo, I find my self missing the luxury amenities of my 3rd gen, as well as the 3rd row seat.

I found a 2002 mountaineer premier awd v8 with 181K and cosmetically it looks in excellent shape. It can also be had for dirt cheap. It got me thinking; I can pick up a motor with less then 80K on it for under $1000 and always have my mechanic swap it out. I'm assuming by now the transmission and rear end have already been rebuilt so i'm not worried about that. I may not jump on this one, but I'm not turned off to another high mileage 02 either. I have 160K on my 93 & 98 so I have tons of faith in these vehicles.

But aside from all the issues I had to look out for with my 2003, what else do I have to look out for in a 2002 AWD V8?

in reading this forum for a few years, roughly, the problems are about the same but the frequency seems more with the '02 . . .
wheel bearings, trans shifting, diff whine, its also a AWD so check the viscous (its a BW4410 similar to the BW4404), check for binding it tight turns.

in reading this forum for a few years, roughly, the problems are about the same but the frequency seems more with the '02 . . .
wheel bearings, trans shifting, diff whine, its also a AWD so check the viscous (its a BW4410 similar to the BW4404), check for binding it tight turns.

Well considering i had all those problems @60K miles except for binding with my 03 it seems like just buying another 03 lol.

Back