2005 Mountaineer How long will it last bad balance shaft tensioner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Mountaineer How long will it last bad balance shaft tensioner

cltrailer

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer
2005 Montaineer AWD. 142k miles Any guess how long the engine will last with a bad balance shaft tensioner? I changed the front tensioner and noticed the balance shaft tensioner is bad. Would you guess it will run forever that way? Or will it soon bind up and cause major problems?? I really dont want to take pan off to change it. The engine was running fine, I just heard the rattle of timing chain, so that is why I changed the front primary tensioner and guide. And yes it was broke. Thanks for your input!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2005 Montaineer AWD. 142k miles Any guess how long the engine will last with a bad balance shaft tensioner? I changed the front tensioner and noticed the balance shaft tensioner is bad. Would you guess it will run forever that way? Or will it soon bind up and cause major problems?? I really dont want to take pan off to change it. The engine was running fine, I just heard the rattle of timing chain, so that is why I changed the front primary tensioner and guide. And yes it was broke. Thanks for your input!!

The balance shaft tensioner can be removed without any ill affects. You need to replace or remove it. I've never removed that chain with the other parts intact, but I gather it's not hard to break a link or pry one off etc. I know the chain is tiny, so it's not very strong. I'd get in there carefully with a small screw driver and see if you can get inside a link and pry it apart, without hurting the other parts. Keep anything from falling into the pans, you'd prefer to not have to remove the upper oil pan.

Projectthread087.JPG

I want to mention I have the 4.0. So let me get this correct. You say it is ok to completely remove the balance shaft tensioner and just let the chain slop around? In a sense, that is what I have. The top guide is fine, the bottom tensioner arm is virtually gone, so there is no tension on the chain. Or another option to completely remove the tensioner chain? I think I can get in there and break it or Dremmel tool it off and with magnet get the remains out. It is ok to run these engines with no balance shaft in operation? Ive head that, but never done it. So, option A; Leave it alone and let the chain slop around. or Option B: remove the chain and let it run. Im not too concerned with a little vibration, I did a Solara and removed balance shaft, worked just fine.

He's saying remove the chain, same thing I would do in your situation.

OK Thanks. So just remove the chain and thats it? It will run fine that way?? Aside from a little vibration, which is ok. Sorry to ask more than once, its just a do or die situation so to speak for me

Yes, many other SOHC owners have done it. The 4WD version all supposedly come with the balance shaft, and people have mixed and matched any version in different vehicles, no issues leaving the balance shaft chain out.

The main thing is you must leave the balance shaft installed. If you remove the assembly from the oil pan you have to plug it's port.

Just cut the chain and keep it moving.

Thanks so much to you all. I got it cut and waiting on new gasket. If it helps anyone, I stuffed a rag on the hole and used a Dremmel tool with cutting wheel. Didnt take much, 1 1/2 wheel and it come apart. Cleaned up a little dust and ready to put back together. Ill post how it runs when I get it back together in a few days. I have other stuff to do, so it'll take a few days. Thanks again to everyone!!
20190215_152016_resized.jpg
20190215_152026_resized.jpg
20190215_152047_resized.jpg
20190215_152054_resized.jpg

Back