2005 Mountaineer Transmission problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Mountaineer Transmission problems

Tunnel Rat

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mountaineer
I bought this 2005 4.0 AWD Mountaineer knowing that it had a hard shift between 1st and second gear, the O/D light was flashing and Check Transmission message was on. After reading the info on the internet I was ready to find a broken overdrive band and/or worn out servo hole. But, trying the easy stuff first, I adjusted the overdrive band. I took it for a drive and the hard shift was gone, it shifted between 1st and 2nd very smooth. the O/D Off light was flashing and Check Transmission message was still on. But, after driving it about 10 miles 1st and 2nd was still working but the trans wouldn't shift to 3rd, the engine just revved up like it was in neutral. I was able to manually shift into 3rd and drive it home without problems. Before I adjusted the O/D band there was no problem shifting into 3rd. Any information on what I should check next would be appreciated. Also I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on which transmission is in this model. One forum says a 5r55s and another says a 5r55w, I tried running the VIN and that didn't help either. Thanks in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update
I erased the transmission codes, did the suggested five minute idle then I took it for a drive. It still had the smooth shift from 1st to 2nd but at a high RPM (about 3500 RPM). The first time it shifted to third there was no problem other than the OD/Off light started flashing. The next time it was supposed to shift to 3rd the engine again revved up like it was in neutral. Again I was able to manually put it in 3rd and drive it home.

Only difference between 5R55S and W is gear ratios; all other parts the same. As I understand it the W came in 3rd. gens before 2002 or 03. My 04 has S.

Sorry, no help otherwise. imp

2005 Mountaineer 4.0L AWD

After several failed attempts to get this transmission to work I opted for a removal to disassemble. An inspection of the parts revealed that the sun gear is shot, the gear teeth are all but gone. I know I can count the teeth on the gear to find out whether it is a 24 tooth or 38 tooth system. But, I did not buy this car new so I don't know that a previous owner didn't change the sun gear assembly at some point. My question is, is there another way to determine which is the correct size sun gear that should be in my Mountaineer or does it matter since I have to change the entire gear assembly anyway? Will there be electronic reading issues if I put in the wrong gear?

Here you go, you should be able to figure out what ratio you have.

5r55s-w ratio.jpg

Okay, now it is back together after a rebuild that included servo holes drilled and sleeved. It now shifts smoothly from first to second around 2200 RPM, after a few seconds in second the OD light starts flashing. I think it also has a smooth shift into third but revs up going into fourth. I believe it goes into fourth (I could be wrong) if I let off the gas and then re-accelerate it drives at 55 MPH at 3500 RPMs. I know that at the times that I believe it is in fourth if I manually drop it down to third the transmission slows the car down like down shifting a manual.

I am not real confident in the torque wrench I used to adjust the bands, it felt like I was applying more than ten pounds before backing off two turns. Could over tightened bands be causing this?

Also, I did not replace the solenoid pack, I performed the tests I found for it online and it appeared to be operating correctly.

Start with getting the codes that are stored.

Back