2002 Mountaineer Transmission Problems OD light flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Mountaineer Transmission Problems OD light flashing

opiejsimpson

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I am new to this site and I love it. Full of information and has really helped. I bought a 2002 Mountaineer last week. It drives great with one exception. The OD light has started flashing. Sometimes it will flash and sometimes it will not come on at all.

When driving I first gear, I believe its first gear, will hesitate to shift into 2nd. The engine revs up and then will finally shift. After that it drives like new with easy shifting and no other problems except the light flashing.

I took it to a Ma and Paw transmission shop and he hooked it up to his computer. It gave the codes P1000 and P0732. I do not know a lot about transmissions and have read some of the threads. I have a guy looking at it wednesday.

What do the codes mean. Will I need a new transmission. Rebuild my old one. New Bands, Solenoids. If anyone has some help let me know. I dont want to be told I need a new tranny and that not what I really need. Also if anyone knows any good transmissionj shops in south east indiana let me know. Thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in the same boat! 99 Eddie Bauer, 2nd to 3rd shift flare (already did the TSB repair, sep. plate, blow off valve, and threw in a new epc for good measure. Still have the flare and the P0732 & P0735 codes. Any info to help us out would be appreciated. BTW she's got about 145,000 mi. on her.

Thanks

I'm in the same boat! 99 Eddie Bauer, 2nd to 3rd shift flare (already did the TSB repair, sep. plate, blow off valve, and threw in a new epc for good measure. Still have the flare and the P0732 & P0735 codes. Any info to help us out would be appreciated. BTW she's got about 145,000 mi. on her.

Thanks
You might find this interesting:
Dead Link Removed. This is # 62 in my list of useful threads.

There are a few points there that might overlap into my problem. Tonight I checked the codes again after erasing them last night. This time there is only a P0735 incorrect 5th gear ratio.The flare is usually always there, except when you slowly accelerate. Then the flashing O/D light will usually start while driving in town. Nine times out of ten when you are decelerating. After shutting down and restarting I can temporarily cure the flashing O/D light. I hate to just replace parts, but I think I will replace the OSS (even though the resistance values seem to be ok). If that doesn't cure it I guess I'll replace the solenoids. (should have done that when I had the pan down before).

Any insight is appreciated!!

Back