2005 Sport Trac fuel pump relay location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac fuel pump relay location

smalltownusa

Reaction score
City, State
Western Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac XLT 4WD
I am trying to drain my gas tank of bad gas. I have the fuel filter disconnected, and a hose attached. The fuel pump only pumps as it should for about ~2-3 seconds before shutting off. I am getting a good flow, but it will take me an eternity to pump out what appears to be over 1/4 of a tank.

I thought I could bypass the fuel pump relay, and have it pump continuously. I have a Hayes manual, and of course it doesn't show either a schematic for my year, or the pinout information for prior years. The fuse box cover does not call out which relay is the fuel pump.

I could as a last resort pull the relays one by one to see when the pump stops pumping, but I also need to know which pins to short out in the fuse panel to keep the pump going.

Could anybody help with that info ?

Well I decided to pull relays until I found the fuel pump circuit. I then used a paper clip to bypass the relay, but it still pumps only ~2-3 seconds. At least it was faster than cycling the ignition key on and off. Took out 7 gallons of fuel. Tank gauge reads empty, and there is still a little in there, but I hope that's enough that with fresh gas what remains will be diluted.

Back