2005 Sport Trac Transmission Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac Transmission Issues

John Edward M

Reaction score
City, State
Slidell
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Sport Trac XLT
After replacing old engine because of blown head gasket, the transmission is not operating? Prior to the engine problems the transmission was good. I have checked everything the fluid is at proper level and there are no transmission codes? When i place it in gear it will only engage when i rev the engine and then only in one gear? When I put it in reverse it will engage forward and not reverse? I am in the process of replacing the transmission range sensor? Has anyone else had this problem? John

Did you check the adjustment of the shift cable? Do you see your reverse lights turn on when you shift into reverse? Are your reverse light on in any other gear range? How about neutral? Is it where it should be or does every gear feel like it's in neutral? Did you check the fluid level when it's warm, with the engine running, and on level ground?

Did you check the adjustment of the shift cable? Do you see your reverse lights turn on when you shift into reverse? Are your reverse light on in any other gear range? How about neutral? Is it where it should be or does every gear feel like it's in neutral? Did you check the fluid level when it's warm, with the engine running, and on level ground?
O.k. just replaced the transmission range sensor, no help still the same problems? The backup lights are on in reverse and no other gear selection? Every gear selection the vehicle goes forward. Fluid level is correct with Merc V fluid, checked on level slab with engine in park? Checked all transmission wiring and sensors on external part of transmission no problems all looked well. I guess i will have to go to the internal parts next?

Back