2005 Sportrac XLT rear brake pads. Not what's on mine for parts store. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sportrac XLT rear brake pads. Not what's on mine for parts store.

RocFox

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer Sport
Not sure what is going on with mine but in case anyone else runs into this issue. I ordered rear brake pads from both O'riellys and Auto Zone. Each time the pads did not match what I had. They were all to small the height of the pad, meaning less area of pad against the rotor. Anyway it turns out the pads on mine are what a normal explorer uses. What's even weirder is I also replaced a caliper and it matched what I had exactly and WAS listed as a 2005 sportrac caliper.

Anyone ever run into this issue? Does the vehicle use different rear brakes on some models?

IIRC, the dilemma I had with 2005 rear pads were two incompatible caliper piston types. With research found all 2004-05 Sport Trac rear calipers had phenolic pistons with larger bore clips than steel pistons. Many aftermarket rear pads for phenolic caliper pistons had 667A part numbers. No letter suffix is used for rear pads with steel caliper pistons. I've been using Wagner SX833B severe duty semi metallic pads for the front, and MX667A for the rear with great results. Appears Wagner's SX severe duty front pads are no longer available and I'll need to find comparable replacements when the time comes.

2005 FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 4.0L V6 Brake Pad | RockAuto

Back