2005 XLT Factory Tow Package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 XLT Factory Tow Package?

Howdy all,

I'm looking at buying a 2005 XLT 4x4 with 4.6 V8 to tow a 26' travel trailer (4,300 lbs empty, GVWR 6,000 lbs). Since the truck's about 5 hours away, I wanted to make sure it's the right vehicle before I make the trip to buy it.

1. Is there an identifier in the VIN, on the door jamb, etc. that I can have the seller take a picture of to prove that it actually has the factory tow package? A lot of people selling cars/trucks see the hitch on back and say "it's got the tow package right there!"
2. What was included in the factory tow package for 2005?

Thanks for your input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have the seller take a picture of the hitch in back. If it has the 2" Class III hitch and the large 7-pin (round) wiring connector, the truck has the towing package ... if it has the small Class II hitch, no dice. The non-tow package trucks came with the smaller hitch, so just saying "it has a hitch" doesn't mean anything.

Aside from the hitch and connector, the '05 tow package has a tranny cooler (radiator) -- our trannies aren't the most durable, so this is the real important reason for having the tow package.

I believe another way to tell if it has the towing package is if the trailer wiring is back there or not. I've seen a few 02+ Explorers with the hitch, but no wiring plug in at the rear.

Does the current owner have the original window sticker? If so, it would say right on there if it has the towing package. Just a thought.

-Melon

Check the Axle Codes, 45 is Open 3.55's Class II. I think in '05 you could still swap a class II with a Class III my wires came with it, the hitch isn’t a sure bet but the Axle code should be . .

Thanks everyone for the info, it will make shopping a bit easier.

BWilliams: What did you mean by Explorers not having the most durable trannies? Since the main reason for getting this truck is towing, that has me a bit concerned.

Or did you mean that it's a bad idea to tow without a cooler?

BWilliams: What did you mean by Explorers not having the most durable trannies? Since the main reason for getting this truck is towing, that has me a bit concerned.

Or did you mean that it's a bad idea to tow without a cooler?

There's never been a real good tranny in any Explorer -- every generation has their own problems with relatively-fragile trannies.

From what I understand, the 3rd gen holds up pretty well as long as you have the extra tranny cooler, though.

Back