2006-2010 Explorer EB Differences | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006-2010 Explorer EB Differences

alnp

Reaction score
City, State
Southport, NC
Hello everyone. I am looking very hard at a 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer with just over 64,000 miles. It is the 4.0L V6 version with 4WD. It's in excellent shape. Were there any major changes or problems solved during this generation of Explorer that would lead me to buy a later model, say 2009 or 2010?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the 2010 has upgraded sunvisors (earlier models constantly broke), new headrests, a one touch up/down window (previous was only one touch down). I know this is minor stuff

The nav system was upgraded in 2009. Sync came out in 2008, that's a nice option.

But to answer your question, I think the 2006 V6 had radiator problems.

You joined in 2011, and this is your first post? :confused:

I'm developing a disdain for single posters. Too lazy to search or read anything for themselves. The only trouble they take is the effort to register. Ask a question, hoping to be spoon fed an easy solution. Get thoughtful replies and disappear. No confirmation their problem was solved. No thanks, no nothin'.

But, you registered years ago. Lurking all this time?

I bought one of the first years of a "new" generation. Anybody knows those are the most problematic. But, thanks to the people on this forum who do post their experiences good and bad, take pictures and even videos, I went in with eyes open.

Suffice it to say, IMO there are no issues bad enough to sway me from a good deal on a 2006. If I didn't believe that, I wouldn't have bought one.

Ornery'S Disdain

Ornery, I began a reply that included the reason I have not posted before now. However, I decided not to finish that reply. Why, you ask? Well, because it's none of your damn business. There is no minimum number of posts required that I am aware of. If you don't like the fact that I use the answers to other's questions without having to post that's your problem.

Do us both a favor, don't reply to anything that I might post and I promise the same courtesy in return.

The V8s seem to have more issues posted here than the V6s, but that may not necessarliy hold true when you look at the TSBs. Use this site to search for the TSBs for the particular year/model and compare.

http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Chill Al. I wasn't going to reply at all because of the single post status. Take a look at this forum's history of people with that MO, and you'll see why. They usually register the same day of their post, get several replies, and are never heard from again. Annoying to say the least!

When I saw you registered years ago, I figured it was worth taking a chance. I can't be the only one curious about the years of silence!

I am biased toward v8s's, but my 06 v8 EB is so far one of the more reliable cars I have ever owned. Yes, I went thru sparkplug nightmare, but besides that, just the routine staff; bearings, brakes. Now at 150k my original radiator went. Overall engine and tranny still pretty strong.

Chilling Out With Ornery

Orenery,

I'm chill now. I have a SportTrac and have been on the forum looking at answers to questions that match mine. I actually try not post much because I can generally find the answer to most questions somewhere on the forum. I also look at www.mysporttrac.com but it is a mostly dead forum since the SportTrac was cancelled.
I have been actively involved in the world of cars since I was about 6 and actively involved in motorsports since 1979. As a result, I have friends that ask me to find cars for them, info for them, etc. I am looking for a 2006 - 2010 Explorer for a family member and just wanted to be sure there were no serious items I should be concerned about if looking at an early example of that generation vs a a later example. This generation is so popular that finding one in good shape without excess mileage is a chore.

Thanks for your info and I didn't mean to be a jerk but when you called me lazy, etc it kind of ruffled my feathers.

Good Afternoon Al!

I hope you realize now I wasn't calling you lazy. That was addressed to the first (and last) time posters who stumble onto this forum. I suspected somebody who laid low that long probably would not be counted among them.

I've been helped by so many people here, I feel compelled to reciprocate. Like a good portion of today's voters, these other people seem to feel "entitled" to this information. I'm not exaggerating!

Anyway, the radiator issue is something that hasn't been solved IMO, but seemed to affect '06 six cylinders more than others. That's a relatively cheap, easy repair compared to my biggest concern, which is the exhaust manifold leak issue. I read about it before buying mine, but thought the leak everybody was reffering to, was simply the "donut" gasket. I sure wasn't too concerned about that! Turns out the gasket between the head and manifold is the problem, because the studs break. These studs are VERY inaccessible, with removal of the heads a real possibility to repair it. That could be a deal breaker to many people. I don't think the Ford Certified program will cover that, but you could check first before buying. Search for the truck on that site, and set the distance for 200 miles. You may have to drive that far to get the truck you want. If it's "Certified", you can be pretty certain it will be in good condition, even though they may not cover that manifold issue. Perhaps you could work that in the deal.

Good Luck!

Edit: Yikes, the closest Certified V8 is 444 miles away. It's loaded, with lower miles, but the particular two tone color combo might take some getting used to...

Coupla small items: late 2008 started the capless fuel tank. And 2009 or 2010 they added the electronic trailer sway control. Doubt either of these would make a difference to you though.

Also, the newer 2009 annd 2010 models are sometimes still under factory warranty and you can still add an extended warranty to them if you want. If that's of interest to you.

My experience (I have the V8) is that the earlier 2006-2008 models sometimes had transmission shifting issues. When I drove the 2010 I ended up buying, it was a lot smoother and shifted better than a couple of 2008 models I drove. But this is specific to the V8 models because the two motors use two different transmissions. Just a heads-up in case you shop a V8.

in '08 the V8 fixed the spark plug issue. If you can swing the V8 it has a lot of speed, 6sp trans. I'd say the '09-10 seem to be a very nice truck. I got my '10 ST and about 55k the right front wheel bearing went covered under the 6yr 60k warr.

2007 added the audio input jack in console and the improved front door grab handles. Going for my 4th radiator this month, and im going to try using the 16 psi cap this time as was suggested by some other members in the past. Suprisingly, im still running all original brakes and wheel bearings so far.

Ornery,
Your user name is certainly appropriate. I think you need to stop worrying about other people. If you don't like something, just ignore it. At one time, we were all single-posters.

Well, now, I've just ignored my own advice, haven't I!

Back