• Register Today It's free!

2006 Exp Green brake fluid

Bobmbx

Reaction score
City, State
King George, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
This is a first. I've been flushing my own brake systems for 30 years, and today was the first time I flushed out green fluid.

The initial fluid from the calipers was brown, then turned to green as I continued to flush. I checked the reservoir, and it was green too.

My first thought: Some dumb*ss topped off my brake fluid with coolant, but that didn't explain the green fluid that was in the lines.

I Googled "green brake fluid", and there doesn't seem to be an answer. Lots of theories, but nothing "official".

Is there a reason for the green fluid? Is it just Fords?

The brown color is normal, since that indicates oxidation due to heat. As far as the "green" color goes it just indicates that the formula probably had chromates or phosphates in it (a very high temp. racing formula?) to help raise the boiling point of the fluid. The Ford formulation is a very high temp fluid, but it does break down/oxidize and absorb moisture quickly. Like I just mentioned, the color of the fluid gives you an idea of the additives in it that help with repelling water and preventing oxidation/boiling and also the condition of the fluid when you are draining it.

Back