2006 Explorer front sway bar link question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer front sway bar link question...

WOODROW76

Reaction score
City, State
Elkton, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
Hello all,

New here but owned a few Explorers, including my current 2006. I think my front passenger side sway bar link broke. I have a few pics, and it looks like a metal rod hanging there. My question is, am I correct in my assessment that it's a sway bar link break?

Thanks in advance

You sure are, I seem to have to replace mine every 6 months. Got it down to 10 minutes now. I travel a fair bit of gravel and the Highways in Saskatchewan aren't really known for their great quality.

Yep they break. Last spring I noticed that both of my end links were totally gone! They broke / rusted and everything must have fallen off while driving. Fun.. Very easy to put new ones in.

When you reinstall, don't tighten too much. It only needs to be tight enough so they do not rattle or loosen.

Tighten the nut, while holding the center sleeve with your free hand. When you can no longer spin that center sleeve with your free hand, tighten the nut 1 more complete revolution, and you are done.

If you tighten any more, the bushings may not have the freedom to rotate in the control arm and/or sway bar. Therefore, the link-bar itself will be subjected to bending, which is what kills these links. I replaced mine twice before somebody told me the correct way to install. These most recent have lasted much longer.

Back