2006 Explorer Heat/AC fan won't shut off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Heat/AC fan won't shut off

bnuttleman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
Greetings,

The fan in our 2006 explorer will not turn off. My wife was driving today and when she went to turn off the AC/heat, the fan stays on. The digital display of the fan stength/speed moves up and down when pushing both the console fan speed control and the steering wheel control.

All other controls seem to work, changing to floor vent, dual control, defrost, AC or no AC, etc.

But the fan will not shut off (until the key is off). I looked through the fuses and disconnected the battery for five minutes, but the heat/ac fan still will not shut off.

Any ideas on the issue and more importantly, the resolution?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey,
I had that exact same problem in my 08 Mountaineer.
Its the fan speed switch behind the display. Mine was fixed under warranty - I can look for the part number/discription when I get home and update this.

The OEM part number would be great. Unfortunately, it is about 6 months and 2K out of warranty. I'm hoping it's something that I might be able to replace myself.

Thanks for your help.

The part that they replaced is listed as "control" PN - 6L2Z-19E624-A. Their notes state "replaced blower motor speed controller".

As soon as I told them what it was doing, they knew what was wrong - they said there was a diode in the controller that burns up, and when it goes, the system reverts to "high speed".

The part that freaked me out is that it never shuts off, even when the AC is turned off.

I have never taken anything in to a dealer before, but this was a good experience. They had it fixed and washed in under an hour, so it shouldn't be too hard.

I have the same problem with my '07 Limited. Annoying as hell and it just started yesterday. Sounds like an easy fix and I should of looked further into the old threads before I started my own on this same topic. I will go delete it now.

Thanks again,

WetHog :cool:

Just had the same problem with 2006 Explorer Limited with dual air. On a trip so got dinged by Fuller Ford in Chula Vista for $121 part plus $160 labor. Yes they fixed it but geeeeez................:thumbdwn:

Just had the same problem with 2006 Explorer Limited with dual air. On a trip so got dinged by Fuller Ford in Chula Vista for $121 part plus $160 labor. Yes they fixed it but geeeeez................:thumbdwn:

Yah, you got nailed. Unclip the harness, take-out 2 screws, pull module and replace. Maybe 10/15 minutes.

And the part can be bought for 50 USD.

Bill:
Can you explain where to unclip the harness and the 2 screw reference, for future? Or point me to the proper thread. Thanks.

You actually have to drop the glove box. Pull in on the sides and it will drop down. The module is locate on the left side, would be right above where the passengers left foot would be. The harness comes in from the bottom, 2 philips screws hold the module in place.

Just a quick thanks to the posts on this forum. Had a problem with my 08 Explorer with the blower being stuck on high like the others. When I googled my problem this site came up. My problem was the same had by many on this site. I ordered the part from silver state ford on the net. The part # 6L2Z-19E624-A, control modual for the blower. Part was approx $67.00 shipped to my house. It took about 5 minutes to replace and only required a 5/16" nut driver and a flashlight. Thank again!!!!

Yes but when you pay $280+ like I did you get to read the free newspaper at the dealership....and witness the big grin on the service guys face as he sticks it to you!

I bought this part (6L2Z-19E624-A) from a local Ford Dealership at a cost of just over $71 with tax. One note, it is not easy accessing the one bolt to remove and replace the old unit, as it is very cramped in the compartment. The job is now complete and it works like a champ! Thanks to all who posted info on part numbers and installation instructions!

Same thing just happened to me today. I own a Mercury Mountaineer 2007. Can't shut the AC off nor will the speed lower. As much as I love AC, this is a bit much. And of course I'm not in warranty anymore. Don't know if my husband can repair this himself. I really don't want to bring it into the dealer.

Same thing just happened to me today. I own a Mercury Mountaineer 2007. Can't shut the AC off nor will the speed lower. As much as I love AC, this is a bit much. And of course I'm not in warranty anymore. Don't know if my husband can repair this himself. I really don't want to bring it into the dealer.

Don't take it to the dealership, this is just too easy to repair yourself. The installation instructions were described perfectly in the thread except there is one small hex bolt that needs to be removed in order to extract the old unit. I will post a photo later.

Pondman66,

That would be so great if you could post a photo. My husband picked up the part at Ford today. Thanks.

All fixed! Thanks to this forum the instructions were very easy as to how to install this part. My husband had it installed in under ten minutes.

Pretty sure I'm having the same problem. Blower started blwoing full speed all the time about 5 weeks ago. I didn't drive my EX for 2-3 weeks, then after a few days of getting back in it, it stopped blowing completely. Has anyone else let it go to the point that the fan stops working? I'd like to hop on the repair you guys are talking about, but want to make sure I have the same issue.

i dont kno if my problem falls under this same category. i have a 06 x 4.0. when i accelerate some time the fan just goes off as if i had the ac on. and then it goes off back to normal. anybody having the same problem and if so how did you fix it, thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can anyone post pics of the part please

Back