2006 Explorer temperature guage problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer temperature guage problem

WarpMode

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
I just recently purchased a 2006 explorer xlt a few weeks ago and the other day im driving down the highway and the temp light comes on and the guage sky rockets to the top so i pull over not knowing what to do and shut down the engine after waiting 5-10 mins i restart and all seems to be ok now just yesterday it did it again any suggestions on what the problem might be ?:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check to see if the t-stat housing is getting the cracked leaking condition, sometimes when the coolant gets low it will stop flowing and you will get air in the system that causes jumps in temp when the sensor becomes dry... this is the usual sign of low coolant

The fact that you are in Montreal with much cooler ambient temperatures has probably saved you from serious engine damage. I concur with Motorcityfats13, air in the cooling system.

Ok thanks guys im gonna have it in the garage today i will let younknow what happens ....im also wondering about the rad cap too is it normal that it doesnt clip tight ?

Ok thanks guys im gonna have it in the garage today i will let younknow what happens ....im also wondering about the rad cap too is it normal that it doesnt clip tight ?

The cap on top of the radiator itself should be a tight fit. The plastic cap on the white plastic overflow/degas bottle is a fairly loose fit.

Hey guys sorry for the delay ive been quite busy in the studio , So i brought it into the garage under warrantee and they changed the thermostat on it and it seems to be running like a charm im crossing my fingers !!!! :)

Back