2006 Explorer Throttle Body/ TPS Problems/Wrench light? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Throttle Body/ TPS Problems/Wrench light?

OK guys an update, so far I had the intermittent stalls when braking or slowing down as well as erractic RPMs. I cleaned the throttle with carb cleaner, it helped for a month, but the it started up again, I replaced the TPS this caused me to get the P0505 code (IAC prob) so I ended it spending $200 for a new throttle body, so far no problems, lets hope it stays that way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2006 Ford Explorer No acceleration & throttle problems

Here's the short history of my problem with my 2006 Explorer. About eight weeks ago I was driving along at about 50 mph with no symptoms. Suddenly I had a loss of power to the drivetrain while in gear. The 'gold wrench' powertrain light came on, then the 'engine' warning light came on.

I coasted to a stop on the side of the road, still in gear, with the accelerator pedal still depressed. I then shut the Explorer off and restarted it, put it in gear and took off for home.

About 200 yards down the street, I completely lost all power to the wheels again, pulled over, restarted the vehicle and again took off for home. Another 1/4 mile and it happened again. I had to stop and restart the vehicle four times to get home.

The Explorer went into 'failsafe' mode and would not go above 30 MPH or so. My mechanic took it and scanned it. After looking at the codes, he ordered a new throttle motor and installed it. That worked just fine for about seven weeks, then the SAME THING happened. Total loss of power, powertrain and engine warning lights came on, it went into failsafe mode and it limped home again.

I went to drive it to his shop and all it did was idle roughly and nothing else. When idling and in gear or out of gear, the RPMs would only rise by 30 to 60 RPMs and the Explorer would only barely rock back and forth as I stepped on the accelerator pedal.

My mechanic and I assumed that it was a defective throttle motor that he had replaced just seven weeks before, so he ordered another one, under warranty of course and installed it and nothing improved.

He then replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) and nope, it remained the same and would only idle roughly. Stepping on the accelerator, even flooring it, would only VERY marginally raise the RPMs, barely perceptibly so.

IDEAS??

I was thinking it could possibly be the Idle Validation Switch (IVS) or the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensors (APPS).

But my mechanic seems to think that it may be the entire Powertrain Control Module (PCM). He is leaning toward ordering a new PCM at over $500.00, but if that isn't it, I am VERY opposed toward spending another $500+ on it, as I have already spent a bundle replacing the Throttle Motor two months ago.

From what I have read elsewhere if the PCM detects a problem with both APPS, it will only allow the vehicle to idle, which is what we see.

But on the other hand, if it is the Idle Validation Switch (IVS) which maybe has dirty contacts, and the PCM does not sense that the contacts are closed, it will then ignore any signals from the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).

Question: Does the 2006 Ford Explorer have a combined TPS & IVS, or are they separate? Also, my mechanic is also under the impression that there is just one Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor, but I think that there are two redundant ones, which may both be bad.

Any ideas? Anything at all. It has been out of commission for the past ten days.

It's much cheaper and easier to just replace the entire throttle body.

Well heres what I found. My 08 4.0 mounty threw the wrench and CEC light. I was looking and started to take off the throttle pos. sensor. The wires from about 1 inch above the TPS plug up say an inch or so the insulation had dried up and was pealing off really bad. The wires were bare and even starting to turn from oxidation. So I cut the bad section out leaving about an inch at the plug and took wire crimps and spliced ti back together. So far so good, I hope that is all it is. But thanks guys if I hadn't read all this and was looking at the TPS I wouldn't have seen the wires. I will let ya know if I didn't fix it.
Stu

2007 mountaineer bad throttle sensor

My 06 v6 explorer had the powertrain malfunction wrench light come on a few months ago. Error code p2106/p_____ forget the other one...

Anyway I took it to ford and they diagnosed it as the Throttle Position Sensor. But told me that I had to replace the whole throttle body. So I did.

Now again, just last week, after probably 7 months of smooth sailing, the light and problem comes back.
It's a very intermittent problem.

But when it's messing up, and the wrench light is on, acceleration is very jumpy and poor, cruise control doesn't work, and there's a jolt like i'm being rear ended when i come to a stop.

Anyone having a similar issue??
Any help?
Thanks in advance

2007 mountaineer bad throttle sensor

[/QUOTE

boutgh this wonderful truck 8 months ago, so far i love it. but man, 2 months ago throttle body starting to give me codes. well i took to outzone the found the code , i replaced the throttle body , works fine for 1 month then the it happens again. i refurbished the old throttle , which was almos new, replaced the tps sensor and motor, works for another 2 weeks and happens again. i read the error code and shows the same code , replace once again the tps it self this time , then again it works just fine for another week and starting to acting up aghain. i dont know what to do or where to look . taking to the dealer im sure they will say that the throttle need to be replace.but after reading some amny threads not sure if its a good idea. anyone know what could be the problem?

There is a good chance the throttle body is OK since replacing it doesn't help anything. Check the wire harness from the lower connector of the PCM to the throttle body that its not routed close to heater hoses as in TSB 09-22-4 pertaining to the 2009 and 2010 Ex's. Use an ohm meter and check each wire from the TPS to the PCM for continuity while bending the harness/wires looking for an intermittent connection issue due to a broken wire. After clearing the code you may want to go as far as disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes, reconnect then perform the "Idle learn procedure", you can find it on this site here somewhere.

Wrench Light Issues

This issue appears to be a common problem with the Ford Explorer especially with the 2006 year model. How many issues is it going take before Ford does a recall or buyback. Is it going to take a loss of life.

Answer to a problem

[/QUOTE

boutgh this wonderful truck 8 months ago, so far i love it. but man, 2 months ago throttle body starting to give me codes. well i took to outzone the found the code , i replaced the throttle body , works fine for 1 month then the it happens again. i refurbished the old throttle , which was almos new, replaced the tps sensor and motor, works for another 2 weeks and happens again. i read the error code and shows the same code , replace once again the tps it self this time , then again it works just fine for another week and starting to acting up aghain. i dont know what to do or where to look . taking to the dealer im sure they will say that the throttle need to be replace.but after reading some amny threads not sure if its a good idea. anyone know what could be the problem?

After looking and looking , i found ot that there was a wires sticking together that was giving a short to the throttle. That was the problem. Look around u harness that might be the problem.

Any suggestions for me?

After reading this entire thread I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with problems...lets just hope I can fix it

Here's my situtation: 2005 Mountaineer 4.6L--just got a week ago--
changed the power steering pump---that was a pain
changed drivebelt-because I thought it was idling low--around 500..
Here comes the problem.. without reading anything I thought there was an idle screw I could adjust.. tried it and it didnt like that and cracked, spring flew out and plunger thing was still in there... no problem, still was idling low, but was running and driving
next day, i read something that said if I disconnect this sensor and that sensor, that the comp will reset itself....wrong engine stalled out and threw check engine and went into engine failsafe mode... could still start the car but couldnt rev it just a little bit to get it back into my garage... let alone take it to a shop to have the codes read.
This is what I did... changed TPS, cleaned throttle body... still same thing...
thinking it might be throttle body motor?? when I push the gas with the key in the ON position.. it doesnt move
still stuck outside the garage and the scanner I used to try and read the codes just shows error... might go buy a new one tomorrow..
Just wondering if it could be the TB motor? or vacuum leak somewhere that people had mentioned? or something else??

Update

To my post above... I bought a new TB motor and it started right up with no codes and no longer in fail safe mode!! Woo hoo!! Wife is super happy so life is good!
:thumbsup:

I've had this 06 Explorer XLT 4.0L for a few weeks. Today while driving I felt a buckle in the drivetrain then the wrench symbol illuminated. I drove another few blocks then went into the store. When I came out and restarted the CEL light also was on and the shifting was definitely different. On the way home the engine would sometimes quit and had to restart in neutral by revving it. It died a block from home and took a lot to get it going again. When I got home I pulled P2135 code and talked to a mechanic over the phone who said replace the TPS. I reset the codes and started it and both lights came back on. I did an internet search that said that sometimes it the wire harness (or accelerator pedal sensor). I pulled the harness completely off and put it back then started it now the wrench light was off. I then reset the CEL light and it stayed off but I didn't drive it yet must let it idle and revved the engine in Park. Did I possibly "cure" it or just bought time before next failure. The TPS is about 60-80 so I might replace anyway on Mon to be safe. Do you have to heat up the bolts (with loctite) to remove it? I don't see how you can get a torch in that tight place unless you remove the whole TB.

Thanks

Heat them up!

If I were you I would take the whole TB off, it's only 4 bolts and quick disconnect of the TB motor harness. Then you can heat up those bolts for the TPS. Trust me I found out the hard way! One bolt snapped and couldn't tap it out, so the TPS was only on with 1 bolt! luckily I learned my lesson when I got a whole new TB. Heated them up and they came right out!

How do you test the TPS I have a 2006 explore as well an having some of the same problems , an Trans to , am bout to put a new solenoid pack n asap.

This guy -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJobCD6y8fk

shows that the problem is seldom the sensor.

He shows there will be DTCs unless the MAP, MAF and TPS agree about what is happening in the intake for correct stiometric conditions. i.e. 14.71 air/fuel ratio.

He is correct in my case. I got this same DTC before and after installing a new sensor. It is:

P0122 Throttle/Pedal PositionSensor/Switch "A" Circuit Low

So now I always have a roughly running engine unless I hold the pedal down to keep it above above 1100rpm.

Turning the sensor through it's range while it is out of the intake tube causes a change in the rpm, but not much. i.e. I have 5volts to ground where it should be, nd a change in rpm while turning the sensor and am mystified why operation isn't normal.

Any further ideas?

I had the wrench light and limp mode until I found this.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415084

I haven't had a single hiccup since fixing it. It wasn't the TPS at all.

I had the following symptoms which went away after I repaired the harnesses:

Roaring fan
Torque converter clutch slip (what it felt like)
Loss of power/no acceleration when pushing the throttle
TPS A/B mismatch code

Back