2006 Explorer Transmission Removal - Top 2 bolts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Transmission Removal - Top 2 bolts

Wiley714

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has some tips on removing the top 2 bolts on the bell housing. I can barely feel them and cant really see them. Exhaust is removed as well as the cross member. Only have the 2 bolts on the top and its out.

Thanks for any help. There really no info on this model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if there is an accesss panel under the console like on the second gens?

I’m sure someone will know for sure.

They make a 35 inch extension with a 1/2 end for the ratchet and a 3/8 for socket and then use a swivel socket. You can add a bunch of extension together and swivel socket just hard to control as they will bow as you try to reach the bolt plus you loose a lot of force when trying to loosen or tighten.
C1EE8BED-EF0E-49A2-A7D1-DA03FE50906D.png
4D46CE66-F5AE-4089-B08E-B0F57D2F4B8E.png

I do not own a 2006 but when I drop the transmissions on the older trucks (I do alot!) I use a long extension and wobbly socket like pictured above. This allows you to get all of the top bellhousing bolts from back near the rear of the trans. Since you already have the cross member and exhaust out of the way you should be able to drop the rear of the trans down quite a bit giving you an even better attack angle at the top bolts.
Lots of bright light is the key so you can see what you are doing under there.
I have 24-36 & 48" extensions I use for this stuff usually with an electric impact (1300 ft lbs dewalt 20V) for dismantling makes short work of the bolts

Got them out guys! Thank you all for your help. All I had to do was lower the back of the transmission and I could see the 2 elusive bolts.

Back