2006 EXPLORER V6 EB 4X4 questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 EXPLORER V6 EB 4X4 questions

bigrobnyc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer eddie bauer
hey everyone thanks for any help. i bought pretty much the base model of the eddie bauer edition. i noticed the 3 4x4 buttons. when i press the lo button a light begins blinking and a light in the dash turns on. however, i hear no noise indicating its switched into 4x4 lo. second, when i press the 4x4 hi and 4x4 auto buttons absolutely nothing lights up in the dash nor on the buttons. nor do i hear any noise indicating that its switched into any mode. what could be wrong? is something suppose to light up in the dash for the 4x4 auto and hi modes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thread moved.

I have AWD, but I'll try and help. You can tell you in 4x4low by how slow your going in 4th gear - 35mph with RPM's, by the way if your on dry pavement you can't make a turn without binding the drivetrain (almost never used unless the truck is stuck or for pulling a house down). A far as I know if you put it in 4x4hi the stearing should feel heavy and you will also bind the drivetrain when making sharp turns, you can only use it in slippery conditions. 4x4 auto only turns on when needed ex slippery roads. Its like 4x4Hi but a computer can turn on the front wheels as needed, usually off in this state. When the 4x4 engages you might hear a low clunk.
hopefully this helps a litte, sorry but I have AWD in my '04 although my jeeps are similar to your 4x4 system.

Do you put it in Neutral when you try 4low? also they usually tell you that when the indicator light in the gauge cluster is on, that means your in, so if you put it in Neutral and put in 4low and the light lights up you should be ok to put it in drive or reverse whichever.

i got the 06 eb 4x4 and you have to shift it into netural when the light is blinking and your foot on the brake. you will hear a clunk noise then shift it in2 what ever gear you want, you'll notice the difference. as for the 4 hi and 4 auto you wont feel a thing, except in mine it feels weird when you turn the wheel all the way to the end and then try and go. when its in 2wd it goes smooth, when its in 4x4 it jerks. plus theres a indicator in the instrumental cluster

Try to always avoid turning sharply in 4X4! Not trying to sound like a jerk but you'll end up busting something doing that, if you've gotta turn sharply put it back into 4auto if your in 4hi it shouldn't be an issue since all you need to do is push 4auto while driving, but try not to ever turn sharp in 4hi unless the wheels will be able to get some slippage like in snow or real thick gravel. In 4hi the tires are trying to turn at the same speed and when you turn sharply thats putting alot of stress on other front drivetrain parts, thats why its important that your wheels be able to spin freely some while taking sharp turns in 4X4.

Back