2006 Explorer vs 2014 Grand Cherokee | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer vs 2014 Grand Cherokee

My 2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer with V8, rear wheel drive, safety canopy, tow package (never towed anything), and no third row seat was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and I'm 58, so have owned more than a few vehicles. I miss the nice large cargo compartment. The seats were quite comfortable.

I replaced the Explorer with a loaded 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the V8 and AWD. In just 50,000 miles it has had the following problems:

1) When it was new, I went to push the push button switch to start it and the entire ignition switch assembly fell into the dashboard. I was working 60 miles from home, but had tools, so was able to reach the switch and start it. When the dealership fixed it, they apparently used a screwdriver to pry against the real wood moldings, so I had to go back to have those replaced.

2) It is at a different dealership now, where it has been for over 3 weeks, to have the AC evaporator and heater coil replaced. I noticed the AC was not working properly, and they tell me they also found the heater coil leaking when they took it apart.

The Explorer had 163,132 miles on it when I sold it. Here are the only problems:

1) The reports of transmission problems are silly exaggerations. Yes, mine and many others had a hard downshift to first when coming to a stop. I almost did not bother to take it in, but did so just before the warranty expired. They fixed it. I've had the fluid changed a few times since then.

2) The power lock motor on the driver's door failed, but I lock and unlock it many more times per day than most people.

3) It had the rusted brake-shift interlock switch replaced under the recall, and it was starting to fail. The symptom was that it did not want to allow the shifter to be moved from the "park" position.

4) The radiator and thermostat were replaced. My only complain was that the gauge did not indicate that it was overheating, so I did not understand what was happening when the computer went into engine protection mode and was shutting down the power output! This caused me to take it to the dealer, so the replacement was expensive. Still, I was busy, and I did not have to do the work.

5) The passenger side front door seems to have a broken part in the device on the hinge which allows the door to stay in place when partly open, as it make a bad noise sometimes when opened or closed. I'll buy a new hinge assembly or get one from a junkyard. Again, it has been a work vehicle, not just a drive to work and then back vehicle, so this is not something I can blame on the design.

6) The left rear wheel speed sensor ring broke. The new ones are made with more metal, as the originals should have been (a few cents more per vehicle, and they could have charged many dollars more without hurting sales...)

Back