2006 Ford explorer won't shift out of park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Ford explorer won't shift out of park

Gshbs

Reaction score
City, State
Masontown WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford explorer
My 18 year old daughter recently bought a 2006 explorer from an auto auction, therefore no warranty, and about 10 days later it wouldn't shift out of park. We replaced a sensor thinking that was the problem, but it still won't come out of park

You mean the shifter handel wont unlock? There is an emergency lock release under the cup holder. Flip u the black cover and jam it with a screw driver. You can find instructions in the owners manual. You can clean it up but I just busted the tab off mine. Now the lock out doesn't work but the button on the shifter does.

My 18 year old daughter recently bought a 2006 explorer from an auto auction, therefore no warranty, and about 10 days later it wouldn't shift out of park. We replaced a sensor thinking that was the problem, but it still won't come out of park
You can try to turn key to run position and try to shift also...not sure but an easy thing to try. (also assuming foot is on brake pedal and the sensor you mentioned is the one behind the brake pedal; all based on my 02's architecture, not an 06)

Back