Jefe's SAS | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe's SAS

Everyone else has a SAS thread in here, so I figured that instead of being jealous, I'd just start my own :)

I've been planning this for a few months now, and the parts are now starting to collect.

The plan is to buy a TJ D30 front axle to use for sizing and testing purposes, and replace it with a custom HP D44 with a bunch of goodies as the project nears completion.

I will be using Rubicon Express TJ long arms. These are 36" long, and convert the TJ 4 link to a radius arm design. 36" back from the front axle lands the rear mounts right where the torsion bar currently mounts, and the TJ and Ex frame are the same width at that location, so it should make for a great bracket location.

I plan to run 2" remote res. coilovers. I won't decide how much travel they need until I've got the axle temp'd under and see amount of flex, ride height, etc. No point in shoving a 14" travel C/O WAY up into the engine bay if its not going to do me any more good than a 10" or a 12".

I will convert the steering pump and gearbox over to a 1st gen explorer setup. I am hoping that the TJ track bar and steering will work, but will have that custom made if it doesn't.

I'm hoping for about 6" of lift, but may have to settle for more depending on a few things. I'll do a SOA conversion in the rear, along with custom leaves to match front ride height. I will be taking out the 3" BL as one of the first steps.

I plan to start actual work on the project about halfway into April.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:eek: I'm lovin it. :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice work:)

Damn it! I can never view your pictures Jefe, or get your site to load!

Great Write up!!!!

Well you have heard it before and i will say it again, AWESOME job! that's is definately the cleanest SAS that I have seen and now I know exactly what I am going to do thanks to your write up! I just can't wait to get started.

The Truck Looks AWESOME!!

I just can't make myself leave the pics... lol

Hey Jeff?

Quick question.. Is there any way to use ABS with those D44's and a SAS? Since this is my DD, I would like to keep that functionality, but not sure if that is even possible. I know that you have bypassed the ABS Module, and was just wondering if this was for that reason.

If not, I guess I could live w/o it, but would be kinda a pain in the 2+ feet of snow in the Utah climates. lol

Originally posted by itbejared
Hey Jeff?

Quick question.. Is there any way to use ABS with those D44's and a SAS? Since this is my DD, I would like to keep that functionality, but not sure if that is even possible. I know that you have bypassed the ABS Module, and was just wondering if this was for that reason.

If not, I guess I could live w/o it, but would be kinda a pain in the 2+ feet of snow in the Utah climates. lol
Once you go up to a 35" tire, I wouldn't think you'd want the stock ABS. The few times it kicked in offroad it took forever to stop.

My abs module is actually still inline, although I talked about getting rid of it. It is moved from its original location however.

If you wanted to keep ABS functional though, you'd have to find a donor axle that has ABS senders, and then research to find out if they'd work with the current system (or modify them to work?). I thought about this, but dismissed it because a D30 w/ ABS is harder to find, and I didn't know if it would work. I've never been a fan of ABS anyway.

thanks for the info Jeff. You know I feel the exact same way about the ABS. But I just found out today the reason that I need it..

I had been playing in 2+ feet of snow and had knocked out one of my ABS sensors up front. Well I was having fun w/o it and remembering how much I loved controlling my own brake pedal. well I let the little lady drive her and she hit a patch of ice to fast and slid a little, got scared and overcorrected and sent the truck down the street sideways into a snow bank. Sadly, its for reasons like this ABS is needed... lmao :rolleyes:

I'm gonna bump this with some 'upgrades' that I've done to show what hasn't worked so well in my setup. For those that are researching pay attention. ;)

The first carnage happened on the second Test run. Not sure if it was due to a bad weld, or just the fact that the bracket was welded on backwards and interfering w/ the control arm (all Tri-countys work). I welded it right there since even w/ a BFH it didn't want to return back to where it was.
SANY0002.jpg

Not pictured: Out at Superstition Mt. for New years one of the steering U-joints threw a cap (just out of the blue, at 45 mph). So I got to take apart the front end for the first time.

At Truckhaven '04 I bent my tie rod. It was 1.25 .120 wall Chromoly. The reason it bent is that at full lock it would rub my track bar, and I assume that one of the times it was doing this I put enough pressure on it to bow it out. And from there it just got worse. I then made a replacement by sleeving a piece of 1.25 with 1.5 and putting the required bends at the end to clear the pumpkin and other bracketry.
SANY0003a.jpg

I have since taken out one of the two bends in my track bar, eliminating the interaction between the two. You can also see my new diff protection in this pic. Took me a while to find something that would work with both the electrac cover, and the half ring that the axle came with to help support the upper control arm mount. I found a very basic diff guard on ebay, and at $55 I figured it was worth it, and modified it to fit my needs.
4-22_6.jpg

At the AZ '04 run I pulled the lower front sleeve that mounts the steering box out of the frame. The inside weld cracked (note that I had fixed this earlier, but it did it again) and with only the outside holding it in place it proceded to bend and tear the frame until the box sheered all 3 grade 8 bolts holding it in place. Broke out the welder for the 2nd time on the trail, and rewelded the sleeve in, and worked over a scrap piece of metal to use to reinforce the frame. Luckily I had thrown in my spares box the three grade 5 bolts that I had temped the box in with. I have since fixed up the trail mod to look like so:
4-22_5.jpg

Last weekend at Big Bear I broke a steering knuckle. I got to break out the welder yet again, and learn how to weld to cast. Took me two tries, but the second job held long enough to get it to pavement and grab a tow home. I didn't feel like risking my life at 75 mph to my welding job on a cast piece.
BB%20042004%20(36).jpg

For whatever reason Tri-county put (what I think are) CJ/SJ knuckles on my axle. Ever since I got my axle I couldn't figure out why I couldn't use a straight tie rod. Now I know. These knuckles are designed to only have to clear a D30. (and a leaf sprung one at that)

Here's a few comparisons of the broken pass. side knuckle (welded up) or drivers side knuckle, and a stock Chevy D44 knuckle.
4-22_1.jpg

4-22_2.jpg

4-22_3.jpg

I'm still in the process of switching over to the chevy knuckle, but it looks like new steering linkage is in order (a straight tie rod this time :) ) and haven't decided if I want to do high steer and redo my track bar or not, but I have a set of flat top knuckles already headed my way if i do. ;)

I've now realized that there needs to be a week link in the steering. (otherwise something major like breaking a knuckle will continue to happen) Here is my latest design:
4-22_4.jpg

I figure I'll just stock up on 43" pieces of 1" conduit and a few rolls of duct tape and I'll never break anything major again. :D

I'm glad i wasn't the only one having a few problems. What kind of a welder do you carry on the trails?

Besides the break-in process, how is it performing?

good trail fixes man! my issues have been with my box. ive replaced the bolts once and recently rebuilt my second box.

would love to see your welder set-up!

Holy moly Jefe and I thought the TTB was alot of work!
hahaha
THose old Knuckles dont look right :)
So now you gotta do ANOTHER tie rod and swap both knuckles?'

Once you get all the bugs figured out, then I will have to copy your design! hahaha just kidding, SAS? maybe someday :)

JoshC said:
I'm glad i wasn't the only one having a few problems. What kind of a welder do you carry on the trails?
Its a Ready Welder run off my dual optima batteries. Its a little tricky to get used to because the wire is always 'hot', but at 24v it welds anything I've throw at it. :thumbsup:

Besides the break-in process, how is it performing?
I just love to be able to do this:
SANY0006.jpg

And have everybody's jaw hit the ground :D

I think I have yet to find a line on an obstacle that it wouldn't do :D . . .until it breaks. But both steering breaks have been very disapointing. . .just crawling along, and pop. . .and then the horrible feeling of no steering feedback.

I see hydro assist, d60, and 38" tires in your future...

That picture does not do that truck justice, Sure it looks cool and there are about 4 or 5 Explorers in existance that can do that, but when you are standing under his front bumper looking at the SAS, you realize just how much effort, time, and skill went into making the SAS work that well on Jefe's rig.

My jaw was one of the ones on the ground, and I am sure the guy in the Xterra that came upon us while we stopped at this spot, was probably wondering how in the hell an Explorer could climb a rock like that, maybe he traded in his Xterra at the FOrd dealer the next day :)

Holy hell man... I would say that that pic does the X a decent amount of justice...

Jefe you ever see what your beast ramps?

Jefe,
That flex shot is beautiful!

I too carry the Ready Welder. In fact, it built my whole truck. Love that thing....

How did you fix your sway @ highway speed? Does it drive better now on the street?

Again, lookin good!

Positive Vibes said:
Jefe you ever see what your beast ramps?
No, I haven't bothered. I like rocks better ;) I'd guess 1200's easy on a 20* ramp. I was hoping there'd be a ramp out at TDS again this year, but no luck. :(

NOTAJP said:
How did you fix your sway @ highway speed? Does it drive better now on the street?
I revalved the front shocks, so its stiff but bearable. And I turned up the rear 9000X's to 8 on the street. But it still takes some driver effort at 55 mph. Its funny cause I'll go drive another car and at 55 I'll start swerving cause I'm used to compensating for sway in my truck. :rolleyes: Have yet to let someone else drive her.

Got the front end back together with the GM knuckles. . .and what a difference. :bounce: :bounce: I think I cut 15 ft off my turning radius. :eek: No more 3 point U turns. :cool: With the old knuckles the inside tire would always scrub in a turn (angled in too much), and thats gone. Plus the steering just plain feels better. However my batteries were dead (8 volts) after sitting a week, and didn't get any better after a jump start and a 20 min test drive, so i think somethings up.

I also finally put my limiting straps in. :eek: So now I can really whomp on it :burnout:

I hope you didn't pay extra for those original knuckles. They did you no good at all. Did you buy two sets this time?

Back