2006 Limited 2nd Row Captain Seat Belt Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Limited 2nd Row Captain Seat Belt Removal

shamski

Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Seat belt in the second row passenger side has become a pain in the a**.
Sometimes it comes out fine, other times it is locked and you have to play with it to get it unlocked. The only way I have found to get it to unlock is to pull up as hard as possible on the belt trying to get it to feed in that last 1/32 of an inch to get the retractor to release. Even that isn't consistently successful. Doesn't both me as I am in the drive seat, but Big Chief at home said to fix it as she hates that it doesn't work. For happy home life, starting to look at it. :D

Looks like there are three large torx holding everything together -- one on the floor, one on the side at the top, and one on the retractor itself (I only know that from feeling around the retractor

Some questions ...
1) Assume I have to take the whole side panel trim off to get at the retractor torx. That sounds like a real pain as there is the 2nd row column, rear column, main trim between the 2nd row and back, and drink holder trim for the 3rd row seats. If it's what needs to be done, it's what I gotta do. Right now I have the 2nd row column off, and the main trim off at the 2nd row enough to see inside and feel around -- hence knowing the torx on the retractor.
2) Anyone got thoughts on the retractor behaviour? From what I have read there is little servicing on them, and better to replace. Stealer wants $130ish CDN for the replacement.
3) When putting back together -- what's the torque for the torx?
4) Any other insight into getting this done appreciated.

Cheers,
Shamski

Back