2006 Mountaineer Money pit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Frost45

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi everyone I'm Rick and I've used the threads here for help so I thought why not join since most answers I've seen have helped! I have a 2006 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0 V6 AWD and it has 220,000 miles. I've driven it for a year now and everything works perfectly inside and out. Well I noticed a small oil leak on the passenger side valve cover and decide to change the valve cover gaskets.Well I lifted the intake manifold and didn't replace the gaskets so after assembly I had loss of power, chugging, almost zero acceleration and it stalled. I redid the intake with gaskets this time but after starting I moved it 40 feet before it stalled and has not started again.I check and replaced the starter, replaced the battery and put new spark plugs as well as a new throttle control sensor on the throttle body.I checked the fuel shut off and think the plug wires are in correct order but I get no start. I do get gas when I pump pedal upon start but only a few pops when trying to start. I have checked all fuses I can think of and swapped a few relays but still won't fire. All the things done was from past posts here so I'm hoping someone can help , what am I missing??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always blame myself. Go over what you did. Vacuum leak?

Check fuel pressure there should be a schrader valve on the passenger side if fuel rail at the back

May have lost a fuel pump

Also unhook the battery so the computer can re learn

Check fuel pressure there should be a schrader valve on the passenger side if fuel rail at the back

Thanks I do have a pressure test kit but when I turn the key over I was hearing the fuel pump from the back of the vehicle and I pump the gas one time and I do get a strong smell of gas up front. I've had a friend try starting it while I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and I get a pop but no start. Will a bad fuel pump send some gas when I press the pedal? I have checked the fuse for the fuel pump and changed it just to be sure.

I always blame myself. Go over what you did. Vacuum leak?
Oh you can believe I am responsible for sure since it was working completely perfect before I touched it! Just a small oil leak near rear of the valve cover gaskets dripping on the exhaust manifold. Man I should have left it!

So I was about to do the negative to positive battery cable touch after unhook to clear everything and I noticed at each plug on the throttle body and the starter and the coil pack where the plug recieves the wires under the tape they all have bare wires some touch each other so I separated each wire and cleaned the metal wire then taped each individual wire so they won't touch and short. I tried starting and it's no different but I did not do the battery clear yet will it make a difference? I do have power to the coil tower and spark at plugs still.

Back