2006 XLT Explorer Blend Door Actuator | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 XLT Explorer Blend Door Actuator

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum but through googling yet another issue for my Explorer, I found this site. This sounds like the same problem I am currently having but had some questions for you all. I heard this noise for the first time last night while my car was cold after sitting at work all day. Made a few stops on the way home and there was no knocking sound. Then again this morning when I left for work, the knocking was back. Seems to only happen when I start the car and it's cold. Still think this could be the same issue? I'm not having any problems with temp of ac/heat or the fan speed. Trying to narrow it down for dad before I ask him to climb all around my car trying to find the problem. Thanks for your help! :)

Yup, sounds like the blend door actuator is indeed the problem. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to step on anybodys toes, but if you aren't having any problem with the temperature of the ac/heat then it might not be the blend door. Isn't it the blend door that blends the temperature? When it doesn't move you will most likely not have heat. At least that was my case. Just my .02. ed

I also have the ticking noise.
But only from the 12 to 3 o'clock switch position.
Also in this position temperature regulation works without any problem.
Could be that some of the gear teeth are damaged, but not broken.

Just for clarification, there are two different "blend doors" on these vehicles, one for the temperature and the other for the distribution mode.

Not to step on anybodys toes, but if you aren't having any problem with the temperature of the ac/heat then it might not be the blend door. Isn't it the blend door that blends the temperature? When it doesn't move you will most likely not have heat. At least that was my case. Just my .02. ed

Mine was still working fine, but it did have some stripped teeth on the gear inside the blend door actuator, and so it made the noise. I replaced it and no noise since.

OK, thanks for clarifying guys. Ed

Hello, I bought my wife a 2006 Ford Explorer with similar issues but after replacing the Actuator, the clicking stop but it won't turn from cold to heat. After reading some of these quotes and some had no problem remove the old with replacing it with the NEW and everything work fine. In my case, I after replacing the actuator my control setting for the heat to ac don't work but my other two settings to change the blower options or low to high works fine. Can I please get some help as to where I went wrong or what can i do to fix this matter?????

Hello Everyone, I bought my wife a 2006 Ford Explorer with similar issues but after replacing the Actuator, the clicking stop but it won't turn from cold to heat. After reading some of these quotes and some had no problem remove the old with replacing it with the NEW and everything work fine. In my case, I after replacing the actuator my control setting for the heat to ac don't work but my other two settings to change the blower options or low to high works fine. Can I please get some help as to where I went wrong or what can i do to fix this matter?????

Heat on driver side, Cold on Passenger Side

Hi, I have a 2007 Explorer with a V8 and Dual Zone Heating... separate controls for driver and passenger. A couple of times now, when running the heat, I am getting hot air on the driver side, but cold air on the passenger side. Turning off dual zone and switching to different heating modes didn't help, but when I stopped for gas and restarted the car the problem fixed itself.
Is there a separate blend door and actuator for the passenger side? Could this be the problem? If so, any "how-to" videos to replace it?
Wife is not happy, that I get heat and she doesn't... but is unwilling to drive me around all winter!

Back