2006 XLT Explorer Blend Door Actuator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 XLT Explorer Blend Door Actuator

barber

Reaction score
My wife's 06 explorer blend door actuator started popping when she turned on the heat to full this weekend.

I have read posts where the car basically has to be torn apart to replace it but I popped off the cover near the gas pedal and it looks like I can take those 3 screws out and remove the actuator without having to take the console and dash apart.

Has anyone tried removing an actuator like this and is there anything else to worry about other than just replacing with a factory part?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats how I did mine, much easier than it first looked.

So there is nothing I need to know about calibrating the actuator or making sure its in any particular position for the blend door?

It's suggested that you put the temp. in the cold position before removal. That's all I did.

I didn't do anything before I replaced mine, so I don't think it's necessary, but it can't hurt to switch it to cold first.

You guys are great

Final question. Do you happen to have the part number for an 06 and where did you guys buy yours from?

I completed this tonight.

I actually spend the $78.00 for the one from the local Ford dealer because they had 4 in stock(imagine that) and I wanted this off my plate of to-dos.

I had to remove the bar and cover under the stearing wheele but that was no biggie (7mm sockets btw). I spent about 45 mins doing it until I called my wife with little hands in to help. She could hand remove/thread the 3 screws (8mm) plus it was nice seeing her do some work on her own car lol. She is proud she helped. I basically turned it to full cold, she/I removed the 3 screws, disconnected the electrical connnection, plugged the electrical connection into the new, aligned the shaft of the actuator to match the shape of the hole it went in, and tightened the 3 screws back in place. Full heat on and no popping. Good thing because if it was the actual blend door, the dealer wouldnt let me take the actualtor back because its an electrical part and the box was opened.

I was concerned at first when I removed the old actuator because I thought I would hear those plastic teeth rattling around if they were broken as I suspected. I took the old actuator apart at the end to confirm that was the issue and noticed that there was a lot of grease that was used on the gears and the teeth were basically just stuck in the grease making it where it wasn't ratteling around. There were 2 teeth from the smaller gear and 1 from the larger gear that were broken.

thanks to everyone for the help. I'll probably be back searching for something else soon since this model is 900 recalls waiting to be approved. I have already replaced the leaking radiator, the parking gear (or something) from it getting stuck in park, tire pressure sensors, and there is a faint burnt wire smell in the rear of the car when you turn the heat.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

'06 explorer temp gauge popping

i'm new on this site so bear with me. i've read some other info which suggests it's the blend door not the actuator. how do you tell the difference?

Well...if the symptoms are the typical clicking sound, then I would assume it's the actuator. If you have any doubt, it's easy enough to remove the actuator and inspect it. Just remove it, and pop it open, and look at the 2 gears. If there are no broken teeth then it's probably not the actuator.

I put my hand on it and felt mine popping.

When I picked up the actuator from the dealer they said if the cold and hot air isnt having problems but there is a clicking sound that 90% of the time its the actuator.

Be careful with those tabs if you try and open up your old actuator. Mine broke when I was opening it to see if it was the problem.

Be careful with those tabs if you try and open up your old actuator. Mine broke when I was opening it to see if it was the problem.

I broke the tabs as well when looking inside it.

I have replaced the actuator but can't get it to work now. I put the old one back in and it doesn't even make the clicking sound anymore. Does anyone know if there is a reset that needs to be proformed. I found one online for the automatic ac controls but nothing for the manual ones that i have (turn dial heat/cold switch)
thanks

I have replaced the actuator but can't get it to work now. I put the old one back in and it doesn't even make the clicking sound anymore. Does anyone know if there is a reset that needs to be proformed. I found one online for the automatic ac controls but nothing for the manual ones that i have (turn dial heat/cold switch)
thanks

No reset that I know of. Which actuator (model number) did you buy? I don't know if it's applicable, but check your fuses maybe.

I was concerned at first when I removed the old actuator because I thought I would hear those plastic teeth rattling around if they were broken as I suspected. I took the old actuator apart at the end to confirm that was the issue and noticed that there was a lot of grease that was used on the gears and the teeth were basically just stuck in the grease making it where it wasn't ratteling around. There were 2 teeth from the smaller gear and 1 from the larger gear that were broken.
First post, so I will start out with a Hello! :wavey:

I opened mine up a little while ago and found two teeth missing on the small gear. Can't be a $1.00 part! I bet this is the same part everyone is shearing off.

I'm just glad that the actuator is fairly easy to get at. Might try a Dorman part if I can find one before going to the dealership. I will post after all is done and let you guys know how it went.

First post, so I will start out with a Hello! :wavey:

I opened mine up a little while ago and found two teeth missing on the small gear. Can't be a $1.00 part! I bet this is the same part everyone is shearing off.

I'm just glad that the actuator is fairly easy to get at. Might try a Dorman part if I can find one before going to the dealership. I will post after all is done and let you guys know how it went.

I looked at mine when I replaced it and it was the teeth as well. But like you said, it's good that it's so easy to replace. The dealer wanted $450 to do it. What a joke.

I went to quite a few auto parts stores before I found the right part. An Autozone had the proper 604-290 part number, but it seemed to be boxed wrong. The shaft had a different shape than what I needed. NAPA had part number 655-1973 which was what I needed.

$59 and 30 minutes later, all is happy again. Thanks guys! :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum but through googling yet another issue for my Explorer, I found this site. This sounds like the same problem I am currently having but had some questions for you all. I heard this noise for the first time last night while my car was cold after sitting at work all day. Made a few stops on the way home and there was no knocking sound. Then again this morning when I left for work, the knocking was back. Seems to only happen when I start the car and it's cold. Still think this could be the same issue? I'm not having any problems with temp of ac/heat or the fan speed. Trying to narrow it down for dad before I ask him to climb all around my car trying to find the problem. Thanks for your help! :)

Back