• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer idle issues

blakusta

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
so when the explorer is in idle, the rpms bounce causing the entire vehicle to shake a bit. When i look at the engine under the hood, the engine moves every time this happens. I have changed the plugs recently. It has 178 000km on it now. it sounds as though there is a air leak under car, on passenger side near the transmission, but I can't find anything leaking. I have also had a few issues where the car seems like the transmission will not shift, and it just kind of sputters. I have checked everywhere under the hood, I even tried cleaning the throttle body for the sputter. If anyone has a vacuum line diagram on here maybe that would help, or any other suggestions!!!

so when the explorer is in idle, the rpms bounce causing the entire vehicle to shake a bit. When i look at the engine under the hood, the engine moves every time this happens. I have changed the plugs recently. It has 178 000km on it now. it sounds as though there is a air leak under car, on passenger side near the transmission, but I can't find anything leaking. I have also had a few issues where the car seems like the transmission will not shift, and it just kind of sputters. I have checked everywhere under the hood, I even tried cleaning the throttle body for the sputter. If anyone has a vacuum line diagram on here maybe that would help, or any other suggestions!!!

Do you have the V6 or V8?

Based on the location it sounds like an exhaust manifold leak. But I have no idea, that's just extremely common for the V8. Both of mine were leaking when I had 79,000 miles on my truck.

Did the car not shift and sputter when flooring it, or normal driving conditions?

Sorry, it's the V6. The car did not shift at all after turning a corner, and seemed like the rpm would not go above 3500, it was bouncing all around and would not shift, whether it was floored or not. After turning it off and restarting it was fine. It has happened twice. I think it might need the transmission reprogrammed from what I've read.

Back