• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer XLT Issues

Caltek1911

Reaction score
City, State
Valley of the Sun
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
Hi everyone, new to the forum and need some help with my 2007 Explorer XLT.

I bought it in Jan 2011, love it, but it has a few issues.

At startup, cold/warm, doesn't matter, the engine will race up to 2k RPM for about 10-15 secs, then dies (started 3/4 of the way on cross-country trip & been that way ever since). Restarts just fine like it never happened. It does this intermittently if the ventilation is set to anything but OFF (just discovered this part the other day). Now, I make sure that I have the ECS (environmental control system) off before startup, or right after startup, and no problems.

Other times, once I turn it on & shift gears, the engine surges, and the truck will jump on occasion depending on what gear, i.e. reverse or drive. Yesterday, when I put it in drive, there was a 3-5 sec delay, heard a thunk and it lurched forward.

A/C: I used to have a '99 Blazer, and with the a/c set on '2', it would get freezing in there. The XLT doesn't get cold enough, until I have it on '3', and that is with vents pointed straight at me. In summer of '11, I took it to the dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong. The other day, I had it on '3', and after driving for a bit, it got supercold, but that is not the norm for this particular truck. I did notice that when stopped, sometimes it will have a small, perceptible rough idle. I considered using one of those a/c system chargers you see on the shelves at Target/Walmart/etc to make it colder, but have been reluctant in case it really screws it up.

Some of the research I've been doing today pointed to possible dirty IAC valve (not for the A/C), but I have not been able to locate anything that remotely resembles the pics under the hood. Also, my knowledge of cars is basic-medium, meaning, I know enough to get by & not get scammed, but can be dangerous under the hood by myself.

Thanks!!

Caltek1911, Welcome to the Forum, Lets start off with a bit more information about your Truck, we need to know the engine size and how many miles? Do you know the service history of your Explorer? Do you have now or have you had in the past any check engine lights on?

Polizi, Thanks. The engine is 4.0, 6cyl, and approx 74,500 miles. As far as service history, I only know what I had done to it. The only engine light was when it revved up to 2k RPM died with A/C on, but that was right before I needed a new battery. Been tempted to let it race all the way up and die just to get the engine light & any codes out of it. When the engine does race, it only does so after all of the electrical checks are completed, so I would normally just put it in gear before the checks completed.

**BUMP**
I also have a 07 XLT with the same issues, the RPM's will surge up to 2k RPMs for a few seconds and then just shut off, dealer cant find what's wrong with it since it wont do it when I take it in. I have read awhile back that it's probably some sort of relay, but I don't recall and cant find that post.
If anyone has any information regarding this issue and can point me to (if there is a thread going on) I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Back