2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 5 Speed Transmission Rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 5 Speed Transmission Rebuild

Ticobird

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
I just thought I would share my experiences. I have 72,000 miles on my 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. I bought it new. I drive with light and easy throttle inputs. I noticed a consistent drop-off in my gas mileage about two years ago. About 6 months ago ~68,000 miles I began to notice an occasional sluggish 2-3 upshift. Then I noticed an occasional pause when shifting into reverse of 2-3 seconds. So after about 6 months of this I began to notice I could deliberately cause the sluggish 2-3 upshift. Then I noticed a lagging downshift when turning a corner with a loss of ability to accelerate for about 1-2 seconds. This behavior really got my attention because essentially the only control I had was steering and braking which is an unsafe condition IMO. I took my Explorer to my trusted local Ford dealer and the transmission mechanic diagnosis read as follows:
Verified customers concerns and observations and "REMOVED TRANS DISASSEMBLED FOUND INTERMEDIATE SERVO BORE WORN REPAIR SERVO BORE O-HAULED TRANS REPLACED SHIFT SOLENOID PACK FLUSHED LINES AND COOLER RECAL PCM ROAD TESTED OK"
The parts replaced were as follows:
PISTON AND ROD - INTERMEDIATE
PISTON AND ROD OVERDRIVE SER
SOLENOID ASY
BAND ASY
SCREEN ASY
KIT - GASKET
FLUID TRANSMISSION
SERVO BORE REPAIR BUSHING
The total cost of parts was $808.23 and the labor was $1,706.55

I asked the service adviser about the contents of the material found in the pan and was told the mechanic did not detect an excessive amount of metal or clutch material which put me at ease. The vehicle shifts beautifully now - just like new. I got a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty with this repair. Yes, it was costly but a rebuilt transmission installed was quoted at $3,900. I feel confident this repair will take the transmission another 70,000 miles and probably more with the occasional transmission oil change which is not called for in the maintenance schedule until 100,000 miles. I would recommend, I don't know why I didn't follow my instincts, a transmission fluid and filter change every 20,000 miles. My belief is the original fluid lost its ability to properly lubricate as designed which then caused the bore wear problem. Of course, it could be a weak design problem but I'm inclined to go with my first reason - maybe a combination of the two might be closest to the truth.
As I stated earlier, I drive with a light throttle foot to get the best gas mileage. Two years ago I did transport about 10 high weight loads of building material 15 miles/load. IMO, this probably caused the problem to show up sooner but was not the cause the problem.
Anyway, I absolutely love the way the transmission shifts now and will continue to enjoy the vehicle for a few more years.

Servo Bore wear is a problem on every 5R55 transmission ever built, I have made a career of fixing these transmissions.

Servo Bore wear is a problem on every 5R55 transmission ever built, I have made a career of fixing these transmissions.

I'm having the exact same issue as the original poster and wonder if you know of, or could recomend a repair shop in my area? I'm near Chicago, IL, in the far western suburb of Plainfield. Hey, its a longshot but always worth checking.

Hello Ticobird,

If you're still around these forums, could you comment on how well the repair is holding up? I have the exact same issue in my 2007 Mercury Mountaineer. It began around the same mileage too and its now at 72k.

I just thought I would share my experiences. I have 72,000 miles on my 2007 Explorer Sport Trac. I bought it new. I drive with light and easy throttle inputs. I noticed a consistent drop-off in my gas mileage about two years ago. About 6 months ago ~68,000 miles I began to notice an occasional sluggish 2-3 upshift. Then I noticed an occasional pause when shifting into reverse of 2-3 seconds. So after about 6 months of this I began to notice I could deliberately cause the sluggish 2-3 upshift. Then I noticed a lagging downshift when turning a corner with a loss of ability to accelerate for about 1-2 seconds. This behavior really got my attention because essentially the only control I had was steering and braking which is an unsafe condition IMO. I took my Explorer to my trusted local Ford dealer and the transmission mechanic diagnosis read as follows:
Verified customers concerns and observations and "REMOVED TRANS DISASSEMBLED FOUND INTERMEDIATE SERVO BORE WORN REPAIR SERVO BORE O-HAULED TRANS REPLACED SHIFT SOLENOID PACK FLUSHED LINES AND COOLER RECAL PCM ROAD TESTED OK"
The parts replaced were as follows:
PISTON AND ROD - INTERMEDIATE
PISTON AND ROD OVERDRIVE SER
SOLENOID ASY
BAND ASY
SCREEN ASY
KIT - GASKET
FLUID TRANSMISSION
SERVO BORE REPAIR BUSHING
The total cost of parts was $808.23 and the labor was $1,706.55

I asked the service adviser about the contents of the material found in the pan and was told the mechanic did not detect an excessive amount of metal or clutch material which put me at ease. The vehicle shifts beautifully now - just like new. I got a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty with this repair. Yes, it was costly but a rebuilt transmission installed was quoted at $3,900. I feel confident this repair will take the transmission another 70,000 miles and probably more with the occasional transmission oil change which is not called for in the maintenance schedule until 100,000 miles. I would recommend, I don't know why I didn't follow my instincts, a transmission fluid and filter change every 20,000 miles. My belief is the original fluid lost its ability to properly lubricate as designed which then caused the bore wear problem. Of course, it could be a weak design problem but I'm inclined to go with my first reason - maybe a combination of the two might be closest to the truth.
As I stated earlier, I drive with a light throttle foot to get the best gas mileage. Two years ago I did transport about 10 high weight loads of building material 15 miles/load. IMO, this probably caused the problem to show up sooner but was not the cause the problem.
Anyway, I absolutely love the way the transmission shifts now and will continue to enjoy the vehicle for a few more years.

Back