2007 Sport Trac Limited 4x4 - Upgraded Brakes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 Sport Trac Limited 4x4 - Upgraded Brakes?

Avaconda

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello,

I use my Sport Trac for a LOT of mountain driving. I've had my brakes redone somewhat recently, but they don't seem to be able to handle what I'm throwing at them. The rotors are warped and have heat stress marks on them. My steering wheel shakes when the brakes are applied. I suspect that my mountain trips are causing the rotors to overheat.

I believe I need upgraded rotors/pads. Potentially even drilled/slotted rotors (I know they have less durability). I want to avoid a "big brake kits" just because of the cost efficiency.

I have three questions:
#1 Has anyone else experienced these problems with the brakes overheating? This is the second set of rotors that have done this on me.

#2 Has anyone upgraded their brakes in any way on the Sport Trac? If so, what were your experiences?

#3 Can anyone recommend the rotors and pads I should be looking at? I don't really have a budget in mind, but I'm looking at getting the best bang per buck.

Since this is an enthusiast forum, a post wouldn't be complete without pictures :)

tkZnHjB.jpg

cF1XOyc.jpg

Are you using the lower gears to utilize "engine braking" so that your brakes dont take all the abuse.

Spades, I am, yes. But the results are still the same :(

Back