BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its reallllllllllllly big...I could probably make 7 or 8 g-strings out of it!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Do I have to wear these, or can I use them for other purposes?

Hahaha!! Whatever makes you happy...I'm sure you'll find a good use for it :)

2011-03-24121529.jpg

2011-03-24131338.jpg

2011-03-24122228.jpg

2011-03-24131054.jpg

Brian- you forgot to put the bumper back on... :p:

Good so far! :thumbsup:

The look of no bumper is growing on me :D

Its gonna be off for a good week or so probably, mine and Kevins schedules dont match up for the next few days, and I left it at his house to work on it there. As it sits right now, you wouldnt guess it was even the same bumper.

We even went around back to try to find some tree stumps to replace it :D

2011-03-24135127.jpg

2011-03-24135116.jpg

Definitely a good carwashing day outside:thumbsup:
2011-03-24145427.jpg

2011-03-24145336.jpg

2011-03-24145355.jpg

It looks better with the rusty bumper off :)

You aint jokin man!

I want a rollpan SO bad now, I love not having a big bumper on there, but the only person who I know could weld it, would want an arm and a leg.

Attachments

• explorer headers.PNG
    explorer headers.PNG
    65 KB · Views: 345

Thats too far of a drive man and 1600$ I DONT have :(

I dont even think im gonna tackle those myself...too much margin for error for me

As long as you don't break any bolts theres not really much to screw up, just a tight fit.

That's a good deal Sean, and fairly close to me. I don't need another project though.

Brian, what is that below the frame in the back?

My train horns :D

Thinking all day and honestly id buy that X if it were closer:(

SWEET I just found my corded die grinder in the shed along with a bunch of other stuff ive been looking for since we moved.

Going to bust some more ass on the bumper in a few. I hope to have the rust all done today so I can start primering as soon as it gets warm outside.

Got ALOT done today, I went through 2 wire wheels :D

I got 98% of the black stripped off, 99.9% of the white, and the whole outer side is wire wheeled, and rust free, now I just have to get the grinder where the rust really got deep, I brushed a coat of Rust-(Something or other) on it, its in a tall white bottle, and its a green fluid. I put that on there to really get in all the pinholes and small spots that I couldnt get today.

My buddy had a good point...I want to paint my X black this summer (Or when I get the funds), so should I paint the bumper black or what? He also suggested I have it powdercoated...Ive never dealt with PC'ing, is it more durable? Is the finish smooth like normal paint?

Powder coating is much more durable than normal paints. Find Turtle's powder coating thread. He's done a ton of parts for other members, there are lots of pictures there as well. It's not cheap but compared to painting one body panel it's not high at all. I had my trailer hitch done after I removed the rust and deburred it. It's a high gloss black and looks very good.

bumper002.jpg

bumper.jpg

2nd gen rear bumper. New primered bumper from LMC. This was a quick hang and shoot and bake.

I can do snow white for 100.00 plus shipping since you have it all cleaned. I would need to just lightly blast it. Any pits will still show. Fixing em with JB weld would be at least a few hours work.
OR

the cheapest way is to get a primered bumper from LMC shipped to me, add 75.00 for coating it since it would be a hang and shoot, plus shipping it to you

That ought to get the juices flowing mate. Brand new or do the JB and prime yourself, then off to Jon's. Decision's, decision's.

That ought to get the juices flowing mate. Brand new or do the JB and prime yourself, then off to Jon's. Decision's, decision's.

No home primer please. The LMC factory primer is a powdercoated application which can take the heat. JB weld and some smoothing with 800 grit will be just fine.

It will need to be blasted first though. Blasting will remove the JB weld filler.

Oh, it needs to be regular JB weld, as the quick set is not good for high temps

Back