2008 Explorer 4.0L Fan Clutch/Blades | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer 4.0L Fan Clutch/Blades

relentless85

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Should I be able to stop the fan blades from moving with my hand while the engine is at idle on my 2008 Explorer 4.0L? See the video below. Before I get chastised, yes I know this is dangerous but the fan blades were not turning fast enough to hurt me. There is no resistance on the fan blades when I stop them from turning while the engine is idling and when the engine is revved up, I don't feel any resistance, meaning that I don't feel the blades or the clutch trying to pull or start turning faster with the increased RPM's. I had my wife rev the engine to 2K-3K RPM and I was able to hold the fan blades from moving. This was all done with the engine up to operating temp. The temp outside was around 50 degrees.

Also the when the fan blades are turning, I don't see them increase speed when the engine is revved.

The engine is not overheating but I recently had to install a new radiator and water pump. Went with motorcraft parts this time. I believe the fan clutch is an after market one, not a motorcraft one. Is this the sign of the fan clutch being bad or going out?

2008 Explorer 4.0L possible fan clutch issue?

2008 Explorer 4.0L possible fan clutch issue part 2?

Should I be able to stop the fan blades from moving with my hand while the engine is at idle on my 2008 Explorer 4.0L? See the video below. Before I get chastised, yes I know this is dangerous but the fan blades were not turning fast enough to hurt me. There is no resistance on the fan blades when I stop them from turning while the engine is idling and when the engine is revved up, I don't feel any resistance, meaning that I don't feel the blades or the clutch trying to pull or start turning faster with the increased RPM's. I had my wife rev the engine to 2K-3K RPM and I was able to hold the fan blades from moving. This was all done with the engine up to operating temp. The temp outside was around 50 degrees.

Also the when the fan blades are turning, I don't see them increase speed when the engine is revved.

The engine is not overheating but I recently had to install a new radiator and water pump. Went with motorcraft parts this time. I believe the fan clutch is an after market one, not a motorcraft one. Is this the sign of the fan clutch being bad or going out?

2008 Explorer 4.0L possible fan clutch issue?

2008 Explorer 4.0L possible fan clutch issue part 2?
The amount of torque transmitted to the fan blade under the conditions you describe is actually quite small. Yes, it's easy to hold the fan blade stationary; I've done it. A much more sensible means of determining if the fan and clutch are operating well is to CAREFULLY place your hand in the "jetstream" between the fan and accessory belt. Even when you think the fan is "free-wheeling", it likely is not, and is delivering a fair flow of air. A piece of cardboard or cloth stuck in front to block air flow through the radiator and the engine allowed to get fairly hot, when removed will quickly heat up the fan clutch and start delivering lots of air. If your HOT engine fails to cause fan air delivery, either the clutch is shot, or the drive belt is slipping.

These fan clutches are mechanically driven, but electronically regulated. Check the electrical connector on the shaft from the water pump to the fan and also try turning on the air-conditioning and see if the fan picks up speed

These fan clutches are mechanically driven, but electronically regulated. Check the electrical connector on the shaft from the water pump to the fan and also try turning on the air-conditioning and see if the fan picks up speed
This is news to me, thank you! I exist in the dark ages of automotive lore!

Back