2001 Explorer 4.0L fan clutch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ExplorerJawn

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Well guys I’ve been having a problem with my X running hot threw these summer months. Temp gauge goes 3/4 to the H sometimes more depending on how hot it is outside. I blast the heat gauge goes back down. I’ve check coolant level it’s always full. Changed thermostat 3X made sure that all 3 work in boiling water. Replaced radiator cap. Done 2 flushes and inspected all my hoses. Did head gasket test twice I’m good there no sign of leak. Did pressure test holds 16lb no leaks. So I decided to replace radiator bottom 2” is all crushed at bottom. fan shroud as well since that was slight broken had about a 1” gap in between. While inspecting the fan I noticed cracks all in it so I was going to put a new one on while the radiator is out giving me more work space. I’m stuck however trying to get the fan clutch nut off the water pump. I bought the tool it was junk and rounded right out. Been trying with an adjustable and a puller holder just seams like it’s stuck on. My last attempt is going to drill a hole in the pulley wheel and sticking a screw drive in and use that as my holder so I can get all my weight behind the wrench. If you guys know any other tricks please chime in. I really don’t want to drill the hole but I don’t see any other option at this time. It’s going to rain the next 2 days so she’s stuck in the driveway for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use a strap wrench on the pulley and a wrench of your choice
Get it at the auto parts store

Do you know which thread you your fan clutch has? Should be marked on fan shroud. You mentioned the tool rounded out. So I would check this and post back, before you try anything else.

1. Get a long punch or chisel and a good size hammer.
2. Put the punch or chisel edge on the fan nut at an angle.
3. Hit it as hard as you can to try to make the nut go in the counter clockwise direction

Do you know which thread you your fan clutch has? Should be marked on fan shroud. You mentioned the tool rounded out. So I would check this and post back, before you try anything else.

Says “RH THREAD ON FAN CLUTCH” on fan shroud. I didn’t mention but yes I checked.

"My last attempt is going to drill a hole in the pulley wheel and sticking a screw drive in and use that as my holder so I can get all my weight behind the wrench" This is what I do when I need to remove fan / replacing water pumps etc..

@ExplorerJawn

First, you need a LONG, sturdy, square/flat surfaced screwdriver.​

Slide it behind the fan clutch.
Make sure that the flat surfaces of the screwdriver come in contact with at least two (of the four) flange bolt heads that fasten the water pump serpentine belt pully to the snout of the water pump.

OPTION to a long screwdriver: If you have a high quality strap wrench, wrap it around the serpentine belt pully, and allow it to block itself up against something within the engine compartment. I cannot emphasize enough that you will need a high quality strap wrench though with this method. This is the one I have, but it's no longer available.

Shown for reference: Empire Level 28620 Strap Wrench
61h22yPvPFL._AC_SL1445_.jpg

Second, you need a adjustable wrench that opens AT LEAST 1 and 1/2"
This is for the "nut" that holds the fan clutch onto the water pump.

Last step - do the two-handed "dance"
One hand on the screwdriver, the other on your adjustable wrench.
The fan clutch is standard thread, meaning lefty loosy, righty tighty.
So, working off-center towards the passenger side of your X, push with your screwdriver hand towards the drivers side, and pull towards the passenger side with your adjustable wrench hand.
TIP: If your screwdriver is long enough, you can find a place to "block it up against something" and concentrate all your efforts on pulling the adjustable wrench.

Hope that helps -

dscn2399-jpg.jpg

dscn2401-jpg.jpg

I had the same problem with the fan clutch. I brought the same tools. I ended up removing the water pump and brought a new water pump and fan clutch. I also try to remove the the fan clutch in a vise no luck I destroyed it trying to separate them.

Well guys I’ve been having a problem with my X running hot threw these summer months. Temp gauge goes 3/4 to the H sometimes more depending on how hot it is outside. I blast the heat gauge goes back down. I’ve check coolant level it’s always full. Changed thermostat 3X made sure that all 3 work in boiling water. Replaced radiator cap. Done 2 flushes and inspected all my hoses. Did head gasket test twice I’m good there no sign of leak. Did pressure test holds 16lb no leaks. So I decided to replace radiator bottom 2” is all crushed at bottom. fan shroud as well since that was slight broken had about a 1” gap in between. While inspecting the fan I noticed cracks all in it so I was going to put a new one on while the radiator is out giving me more work space. I’m stuck however trying to get the fan clutch nut off the water pump. I bought the tool it was junk and rounded right out. Been trying with an adjustable and a puller holder just seams like it’s stuck on. My last attempt is going to drill a hole in the pulley wheel and sticking a screw drive in and use that as my holder so I can get all my weight behind the wrench. If you guys know any other tricks please chime in. I really don’t want to drill the hole but I don’t see any other option at this time. It’s going to rain the next 2 days so she’s stuck in the driveway for now.
The tool didn’t work for me either.. I ended up buying a high quality adjustable and a tiny sledge hammer and once I got it to hold just right I knocked the fire out of the adjustable and it broke free finally!!! That’s my advice and the way I did it, if it helps!!! Good luck.

The tool didn’t work for me either.. I ended up buying a high quality adjustable and a tiny sledge hammer and once I got it to hold just right I knocked the fire out of the adjustable and it broke free finally!!! That’s my advice and the way I did it, if it helps!!! Good luck.
Where did you find a wrench slim enough to fit ?

Where did you find a wrench slim enough to fit ?
I removed 2 nuts that where on the fan clutch to give my wrench more space. This project is on hold atm. I did have the screwdriver wedged in there and was able to lock it in with another pully. Even with all my weight behind my wrench it still wouldn’t break free. Might go the route of replacing everything.

I'm guessing Ford put loctite on the threads SINCE it is a standard thread / RH ...instead of the usual reverse thread/ LH for a fan clutch.
Therefore I'd take a propane torch to that nut for a bit. Then the old good smack with a hammer on the wrench.
I googled around on these Ford fan clutches and it seems everyone is having issues with it not "just coming right off" ....hence my loctite suspicions.
** Fast Dave's pictures above appear to have RED LOCTITE on the threads.... I rest my case....:hammer:

I'm guessing Ford put loctite on the threads SINCE it is a standard thread / RH ...instead of the usual reverse thread/ LH for a fan clutch.
Therefore I'd take a propane torch to that nut for a bit. Then the old good smack with a hammer on the wrench.
I googled around on these Ford fan clutches and it seems everyone is having issues with it not "just coming right off" ....hence my loctite suspicions.
** Fast Dave's pictures above appear to have RED LOCTITE on the threads.... I rest my case....:hammer:
When I replaced my I did not see any thing on the threads. I just assume untouched for 20 years. I even had trouble start the nut on the new fan clutch.

Starting it is always a pain in the ass

That's Mobile 1 Red Grease in the pics :)

The Adjustable Wrench is a Swedish made Sandvik = Thin, flat ground grip surfaces, high quality adjustable thumbwheel that does not loosen up.

Usually, I wouldn't piggyback onto some else's thread, but the answer to my question might be of interest to the OP.
I too have an overheating problem in my '01 sohc. Fan clutch's come in different 'ratings', as in Standard Duty, Heavy Duty, and Severe Duty.
The question is, which one did Ford use in 2nd Gen's?

Buy a Severe Duty
That's the closest thing to factory imo
That's the standard advice on a replacement

@efBrianM

+10 to what @donalds said.

To add to his comments, the Fan Clutch pictured in my write up as a Hayden 2794 Severe Duty (it will fit your Explorer application).

Hayden has always been associated with high quality engine cooling components such as fan clutch's, and is a OEM Manufacturer to the "big 3".

It was IDENTICAL to the factory OEM FORD Fan Clutch I removed, right down to the casting marks and casting mold numbers, and it's MADE IN USA.

The only thing it didn't have on it was a "FORD" logo stamp.

$40.70 @ Rock Auto

Here's a 5% off Rock Auto Discount Code

5% Discount Code: 73241317B4CAE7
Expires: October 19, 2021

Enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.

Enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

Hope that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a Severe Duty
That's the closest thing to factory imo
That's the standard advice on a replacement
@efBrianM

+10 to what @donalds said.

To add to his comments, the Fan Clutch pictured in my write up as a Hayden 2794 Severe Duty (it will fit your Explorer application).

Hayden has always been associated with high quality engine cooling components such as fan clutch's, and is a OEM Manufacturer to the "big 3".

It was IDENTICAL to the factory OEM FORD Fan Clutch I removed, right down to the casting marks and casting mold numbers, and it's MADE IN USA.

The only thing it didn't have on it was a "FORD" logo stamp.

$40.70 @ Rock Auto

Here's a 5% off Rock Auto Discount Code

5% Discount Code: 73241317B4CAE7
Expires: October 19, 2021

Enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.

Enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

Hope that helps.

I appreciate your replies to my question and fast response. Unfortunately, I've already done some work on the overheating problem with no success, and now in the mode of second guessing myself as to what I did wrong/didn't do! Hindsight is always pretty good - should have asked first. I did install a severe duty fan clutch, and was wondering if should have went with a heavy duty clutch. You guys answered my question.

I'll go ahead an start a thread as I don't want to completely hijack the OP's thread.

Back