2008 Explorer interior lights turn on unexpectedly | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer interior lights turn on unexpectedly

My 2007 explorer limited takes this one step further - the drivers power seat moves back unexpectedly. I'm almost certain this is an ignition problem, as some other posts suggest as I have wiggled the key when seated in the ignition which triggers the symptom. Does anyone know if there is a safety recall for this issue? it's particularly frightening when a shorter person is driving and in the process of stopping, which can pull the foot off the brake pedal. Scary since this is my 5'1" wife's daily driver.

I haven't heard of a recall but you can at least turn off the auto adjustment by disabling "easy entry" in the dashboard menu. I'm certain it's a short in the ignition switch causing the problem too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone confirm if this issue and repair applies to 2006 explorers as well? I have a 2006 EB doing the dome light and seat movement at seemingly random times just as described in this thread the one that was linked. I noticed most people who posted up that the fix resolved their issue had 2008s and a few 2007s. I did not see reference to 2006.

Seems like it should be the same right?

Having a few electrical issues as well

I have asimilar problem but probably not related. My interior lights come on whenever the transmission is put into reverse, so when it is dark outside you can't see anything while you try to backup. I can't believe this is factory design, but I am also not sure the ignition switch is the cause.

I have recently, last several months, developed the same problems with mine. Jiggle the ignition switch and the dome lights turn on so any substantial bump sets them off. I had also noticed it when I put my truck in reverse and I could feel a little stick in the shifter. Definitely a pain at night when you can not see a darn thing outside because the inside it lit up. I was told by a mechanic I know it could be the wiring down there getting hung up....scary. Also my "tire monitor system fault" message and light turns on periodically. It doesn't tell me that my tire pressure is off. It says my monitor system is faulting. Should probably get that one figured out also. I see the thread thread that shows pics on how to change the ignition switch on an 07 sport track which I am assuming is the same. Thanks so much for that :) I will see if I can handle this one myself. Any advice on the other issues would be appreciated. I don't want to give the dealership more of my money if I don't have to.

The ghost controls the lights

I have a 2008 XLT V-6 4X4 that has the same problem. I find that if I stop my car and open and close the last door that was opened prior to moving the car the lights will go off and stay off. Now this is only my belief, but I believe that it is caused by a dirty switch inside the door system. I have used WD40 to flood the key slot on the door in an attempt to clean the switch. This seems to work for a while, but in a few weeks I must spray again. I also note that when the lights do come on, if you "hit a bump" as your driving, the lights will slowly fade to off. I was told it could be the ignition switch, but replacing it did not help. The interior lights are controlled by the computer in the car now, unlike the old cars that simply had a "ground switch". So if you want to take off the door interior panel to access the inside of the door handle, you will find the connectors for the locks and so on. I used a simple "zip-lock bag" to wrap all this to act as a dust protector. Then sealed it with an ample wrap of duct tape to keep it in place. I did put the opening of the bag pointing down so dust could not settle into the bag. This seems to be working. However remember that if you do this, you must include the doors, the hatch glass and the rear door as well. Several hours if you do it yourself. I did this several months ago and so far it is working. Next step will be to seal the area with "expandable spray foam" if the ghost reappears. I do have a question for those with this problem, does the warning light that a "door open" come on at the same time? Mine does not and it does not register a code in the IBD system. I wish you all luck. I wrote to FORD and had no response and my local dealer told me that they would check it out, out of warranty of course!

I see a lot of "Me toos" here. My 2007 explorer eddie bauer edition just started doing this. I correlated it immediately to the way the keys sit and I am able to get them to run off by wiggling the keys. Now that I know it's the ignition cylinder, I will take a look at what it takes to repair that.

I am having the same problem on 08' Explorer EB. So i am going to try this.
Any chance the ignition switch will mess up my trailer lighting? pass side blinker/brake won't work. It is the explorer not the trailer.

Just to follow up, I solved the issue on my 2006 EB using the how to write up fiddler linked in post 14. Made it easy.

I purchased the part from a dealer.

I did have a slightly different part number than noted in the linked how to. SW-6958 DG9Z-11572-A "ignition switch". Otherwise I just followed the how to.

I am having the same problem on 08' Explorer EB. So i am going to try this.
Any chance the ignition switch will mess up my trailer lighting? pass side blinker/brake won't work. It is the explorer not the trailer.
I do not think this repair will resolve anything with exterior lighting. Something else going in the trailer lighting. Any corrosion on the vehicle plug? That is usually my problem.

the connect plug is clean.
losing my mind

losing my mind

Check fuses. I don't have a diagram handy (wife drives the Ex) but I'm pretty sure there are fuses for "rh trailer tow connector" and "LH trailer tow connector". If you have your owner's manual it should tell you where the fuse is.

losing my mind

Maybe make a separate thread in regard to your trailer light issue so it doesn't get lost in this original topic.

To follow up, checked my '06 owner's manual and it list fuse #7 , 15A for "Trailer stop/turn". So I guess LH and RH aren't fused separate.

I think you'll need to get a wiring diagram and start tracing the wiring looking for the cause of the open circuit.

If you have four pin and 7 pin connectors, I'd start by checking both.

yes i will have to trace it back.
as far as i know there is not a separate fuse for the L vs R.

I see a lot of "Me toos" here. My 2007 explorer eddie bauer edition just started doing this. I correlated it immediately to the way the keys sit and I am able to get them to run off by wiggling the keys. Now that I know it's the ignition cylinder, I will take a look at what it takes to repair that.

FWIW, I replaced the ignition switch a while ago, and the problem went away and came back. My Ford guy replaced the ignition cylinder, and that seems to have done the trick for now.

The switch is SW6343, the cylinder is SW6390.

How I fixed my explorer

My 2007 explorer limited takes this one step further - the drivers power seat moves back unexpectedly. I'm almost certain this is an ignition problem, as some other posts suggest as I have wiggled the key when seated in the ignition which triggers the symptom. Does anyone know if there is a safety recall for this issue? it's particularly frightening when a shorter person is driving and in the process of stopping, which can pull the foot off the brake pedal. Scary since this is my 5'1" wife's daily driver.

Take out the ignition switch an put a small o ring around the end that has a half circle an a flat edge an put it back in an I have never had a light or power seat issue again

I have a 2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition and the interior lights turn on on their own. I could be driving down the road (doesn't matter the speed) and my interior lights come on. Does anyone else have this problem?

In my 2007 the drivers seat moves and the light comes on. It seems to be due to the key is loose and when it shakes the truck thinks you rmoved the key and the light comes on and seat moves back

Ford Explorer Ghosts

Yes that is what I call it. Try a test for me. Simply, the next time this happens, just "jiggle" the ignition key. Just move it up and down or perhaps sideways, BUT BE CAREFUL if you are driving, you may interrupt the power. I have found that my 2008 Ford Explorer XLT has had this same issue. I have talked to the dealer, and for $175.00 per hour, they will "drive and test" my car until they find it, but since it is interrmitent it could take a long time. Well, I don't have a long time's worth of money for the test, but found out it is the switch. You can replace the switch, meaning the "KEY TUMBLER" and it may solve it, but simply Cut out a cardboard washer about as thick as a matchbook. Slip this washer into the hole BEFORE you install the new switch. It seems that this little trick keeps the weight of the keys from moving the switch when you hit a bump or dip in the road. You will probably chase away the Ghost with this little trick. So far the cardboard washer in my XLT is about 9 months old and still working great and the ghosts are all gone. Now, this may sound stupid, but you could also find an electrical fiber washer to slip in, but that would not be as much fun. A not so technical solution for a technical problem that has taken me about 5 years to figure out. Give it a try, but remember, you can first try this on your exsisting tumbler and keep your original key. Good luck.

Back