2008 Ford Explorer XLT | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ford Explorer XLT

I have a hard time seeing it not being the battery. It's been sorta like fixing a flat tire by checking the coolant level first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a hard time seeing it not being the battery. It's been sorta like fixing a flat tire by checking the coolant level first.
Got the battery charged, changed the negative post clamp, but it still does the same thing. No crank, no start. Not even a click.

Check the voltage on the battery. Then turn the lights on and check it again. Not a true battery test but it should tell you something. If the battery is good it should barely drop voltage.

Check the voltage on the battery. Then turn the lights on and check it again. Not a true battery test but it should tell you something. If the battery is good it should barely drop voltage.
@07EddyB

For chrissakes already, let's beg, borrow, steal, or buy a known good battery! imp

HaHa! Not known for being subtle are you :D
Don't be so mean, I'm not a mechanic. Trying the best that I can to figure this out.
@07EddyB

For chrissakes already, let's beg, borrow, steal, or buy a known good battery! imp
Don't be so mean, I'm not a mechanic. Trying the best that I can to figure this out .

have you had the battery load tested? Now that the battery has been charged what does the voltage show while its just sitting there? Have someone watch the voltmeter on the batty while you turn the key, does the voltage drop and how much? How about with the headlights off/on?

Patricia this is a shot in the dark. You may have an electrical short. I recall reading the 08's had an issue with the wiring harness on the top of the engine rubbing and wearing away insulation. Do me a favor and check your harness. I believe its on the passenger side where the problem exists. I have an 08 as well and have always been concerned about this happening. Hope you find the problem and can advise the rest of us. Thx AJ

Patricia this is a shot in the dark. You may have an electrical short. I recall reading the 08's had an issue with the wiring harness on the top of the engine rubbing and wearing away insulation. Do me a favor and check your harness. I believe its on the passenger side where the problem exists. I have an 08 as well and have always been concerned about this happening. Hope you find the problem and can advise the rest of us. Thx AJ
I had a friend of mine who is a mechanic by trade come out and he got it running. It was the negative connection on the battery. Thank you for your help.

I had a friend of mine who is a mechanic by trade come out and he got it running. It was the negative connection on the battery. Thank you for your help.

I thought you changed that?

I know it sounds stupid, but as I posted earlier, this same thing happened to me twice. After two tows valued at over $250, I felt real stupid that I couldn't figure out something as easy as a negative battery terminal connection. I've seen two types of these aftermarket connections sold. The cheap one is exactly that - dirt CHEAP! Always ensure you spring for the good one. I'll never fall for this again (I hope)!

Glad you got it going Patricia. Good job.

Jim

I know it sounds stupid, but as I posted earlier, this same thing happened to me twice. After two tows valued at over $250, I felt real stupid that I couldn't figure out something as easy as a negative battery terminal connection. I've seen two types of these aftermarket connections sold. The cheap one is exactly that - dirt CHEAP! Always ensure you spring for the good one. I'll never fall for this again (I hope)!

Glad you got it going Patricia. Good job.

Jim
I remember your post Jim. Thank you for helping me out.

Back