• Register Today It's free!

2008 Mercury questions

Bigskypc50mt

Reaction score
City, State
MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mercury 4.0 V6
Hello I picked up a 2008 Mercury mountaineer with 158k on the clock from copart. It was listed as no start not running it has minor front end damage.

Two questions:
Regarding the transmission, what is the likely hood the fuild and filter has been done. And if it has not is the trans done with?

What are some common reasons would make these rigs not start I have not seen it so don’t know if it cranks or not. Front end damage is very minor and would not interfere with the engine starting

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I picked up a 2008 Mercury mountaineer with 158k on the clock from copart. It was listed as no start not running it has minor front end damage.

Two questions:
Regarding the transmission, what is the likely hood the fuild and filter has been done. And if it has not is the trans done with?

What are some common reasons would make these rigs not start I have not seen it so don’t know if it cranks or not. Front end damage is very minor and would not interfere with the engine starting

Thanks
V6 or V8?

V6 it's close to toast - V8 you might get lucky.

You might want to look into these things before you buy something.
Let me get this straight - you haven't seen it, it doesn't run, you don't have any experience with these vehicles, it has front end damage which looks minor but could have punctured the radiator causing it to overheat and lock up on the previous owner.
And it's from CoPart.
I would like to help you but I dont think this will be a oh yeah - 5 minute fix sort of thing.

Ya it’s a V6, this makes my 5th car I have bought sight unseen from copart all so far have been very good daily drivers. This Mercury was for sale by an insurance company and my total investment deliverd to my door is $500. The blue book is about 5k from what I can say so if I have to walk away not a huge loss or I have room to put a trans in it
https://www.copart.com/lot/29046848

Check the fuel pump inertia switch first

Greetings just a follow up, got the Merc delivered and have been working on it. turns out the reason for the no start was the stupid viper alarm, the key fobs batteries were dead so I got those changed and the rig started right up. The coolant was about 2 1/2 gallons low. Still don't know why have not found any leaks yet. I am impressed by how quite and smooth it runs I thought it died many times. Stupid owners did not care for this thing, the brakes are worn down to the venting, and dirty dirty on the interior.

Just came back in from doing the first oil change, and dropped the trans pan. Was ready for a change but I have seen worse, what you think about the fluid and pan? Trans shifts well, little bit of sluggish shift on the 3-4 under heavy load, no complaints with normal driving. So far it has not over heated or done anything stupid. On to the brakes now!

IMG_0275.jpg

Greetings just a follow up, got the Merc delivered and have been working on it. turns out the reason for the no start was the stupid viper alarm, the key fobs batteries were dead so I got those changed and the rig started right up. The coolant was about 2 1/2 gallons low. Still don't know why have not found any leaks yet. I am impressed by how quite and smooth it runs I thought it died many times. Stupid owners did not care for this thing, the brakes are worn down to the venting, and dirty dirty on the interior.

Just came back in from doing the first oil change, and dropped the trans pan. Was ready for a change but I have seen worse, what you think about the fluid and pan? Trans shifts well, little bit of sluggish shift on the 3-4 under heavy load, no complaints with normal driving. So far it has not over heated or done anything stupid. On to the brakes now!

View attachment 160946
My trans fluid looked like that after 50k. As long as there’s no metal in it you should be ok I think.

Back