200amp altenator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

200amp altenator

tac0meat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EB 2x4
im planning on ordering a 200 amp altenator from Mr. Altenator. for some reason its sticks in my mind that many of you have ordered high output altenators from Mr. Altenator, and was wandering if it is relatively easy to install. does it come with all the parts i need to do a simple swap, are there a bunch of electrical connections to modify or are there just a couple of wires to plug in? ive changed the serpentine belt so im assuming this will be about the same amount of effort right? just take off the belt undo a couple of wires and bolts and swap the new one in, hook it back up and im ready to go? if you guys say it will be similar to what i said earier(relatively easy) then im going to order it tonight. thanx in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just do it man!

It shouldn't be that hard..if ya can turn a wrench it should be cake man! BTW...noticed you have a Panasonic cq-df600..nice unit man..how do you like it? I have a cq-df88..I LOVE IT!

ok im going to go for it and should have it in by the middle of next week. I'll let yall know how it turns out. hehe just one more thing to add to my signature :)

oh ya! hey Ru Dawg, ya man i love the head unit i get a lot of complaments on it, its a real showpeice!

yeah lots of people trip out over mine too...especially at drive thru windows and stoplights!
Oh, in case you haven't seen a DF-88 it's pretty much the same exact unit as the 600, the 600 uses MOSFET 45's, the 88 only has the MOSFET 40's, but the cosmetics are almost identical.

[Edited by Ru Dawg on 10-26-2000 at 04:37 PM]

I have a 200 amp altenator in my explorer. The only thing that i needed to do was to change my wires running to and from my altenator. I needed bigger ones so they could handle all the power that i now have running though them. I would go to your local altenator shop and ask them. That and you can sell your stock altenator to them. They buy them and make them for 90 amps to 130 amps. I sold mine to them in exchange for them to change all my wires. I donno its just my 2 cents.

will i have to change out my regulator also or is that built into the altenator? would upgrading/replacing the wires be benificial? because im not winching or anything like that(yet) but do you think the stock wires are corroded, kinda like how the battery cables get corroded on the inside?

Back