2010 explorer pcm problems

crakestraw

Reaction score
City, State
ROCK HILL SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ford explorer
2010 explorer pcm / transmission problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 ford explorer pcm problems
Purchased a 2010 FORD EXPLORER ,Eddie Bauer,in August 2012. Vehcile ran fine until June 2013 when we started having problems with the service engine light staying on and the transmission not shifting correctly( powertrain malfunction light comes on). The vehicle has been to the dealership at least once a month with these same problems. Finally on 19 December vehicle was left with the dealer. Supposedly they found electrical problems and replaced a solenoid for the second, possibly the third time. I was told it needed a new PCM , but dealer could not obtain one until mid february. Vehicle was picked up on 30 January after dealership called and said it was fixed. After picking up vehicle, returning to work and then leaving for lunch on 30 January both the service engine light and the powertrain light came bak on after 10 minutes of driving. Returned to dealer and was told about the PCM not being available until mid February and that a "like pcm " was used as a replacement . The vehicle shift hard at random times, the engine and tranny both seem to be working hard , high revs, after 2 days the powertrain light has gone out, engine light is still on though. Any comments I do not believe the vehicle should be driven with these problems , but the dealership(Clinton Ford) says they were told by Ford manufacturing it would be okay to operate. Any suggestions, or other people who have had these problems .

crakestraw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A fast "hard" shift is easier on a transmission than a long delayed shift and as far as a high RPM before shifting; not a big deal as long as it is not redlining the engine and refusing to shift after you let off the gas .

I have had the same problem with my 2010 EB. I bought it in May 2014. I had to wait until Dec. to get the new PCM, Truck has been running great until the other day, RSC system came on and the truck went into crepper mode. They have replaced just about every sensor under neath the truck (2) throttle bodies and even the gas peddle assembly. Now they tell me it's the throttle position sensor, we will see. It seems to happen in damp or rainy weather. I hope this finally solves the problem

Well after Ford having my truck for 3 weeks now, the Ford engineer out of Michigan has determined that my issue with the RSC system is a wiring harness for the RSC system. We will see, the mechanic is test driving it tonight. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. I still do not trust the truck until i have driven it for a while. This issue has happened so many times I'm gun shy. Wish me luck!

Good luck. Please post follow up.

Well after Ford having my truck for 3 weeks now, the Ford engineer out of Michigan has determined that my issue with the RSC system is a wiring harness for the RSC system. We will see, the mechanic is test driving it tonight. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow. I still do not trust the truck until i have driven it for a while. This issue has happened so many times I'm gun shy. Wish me luck!

Any news for us this morning, jrk2585? I checked out your case and saw that your CSM left you a message yesterday; be sure to give me a shout if there's anything else I can do to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Yes, The harness for my truck came in late Thursday so they needed all day Friday to install the new wiring harness. This harness covers the whole top side of the motor. I'm told that the reason for replacing the harness is due to RFI interference on the harness, which is causing faults with in the system. This comes from the engineers at Ford. I have no idea how the Ford dealers would have ever known this could be the problem( The Ford engineers must know somethings dealers do not) So I'm hoping to get it back Monday or Tuesday.

I would like to thank Crystal for getting the factory involved. This has been almost a year in issues. So thanks Crystal!

Once I get my truck back I will keep you posted on the status.

Thanks
jrk2585

...I would like to thank Crystal for getting the factory involved. This has been almost a year in issues. So thanks Crystal!...

You're very welcome, jrk2585! You know where to find me if you need any assistance in the future. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Just an update . I was at Ford yesterday, They have started installing the harness ( what a nightmare). This harness covers the whole top side of the motor with 50 different plugs. I really hope this will solve the issues, so far my Ford dealer and everyone involved has been great.

Just an update . I was at Ford yesterday, They have started installing the harness ( what a nightmare). This harness covers the whole top side of the motor with 50 different plugs. I really hope this will solve the issues, so far my Ford dealer and everyone involved has been great.

Thanks for keeping us informed, jrk2585! I'm glad everyone's taking great care of you. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Another Update: I got my truck back today, It seems to be running good. They ended up replacing the upper wiring harness. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Another Update: I got my truck back today, It seems to be running good. They ended up replacing the upper wiring harness. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Awesome news, jrk2585! Thanks for sharing your outcome with us. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back