• Register Today It's free!

2010 Explorer unlocking itself

mrbill973

Reaction score
City, State
Pottstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
2010 Explorer XLT with 10988 miles on it seems to unlock itself at random intervals. I've turned off auto lock/unlock, checked to make sure all doors and hatch glass is closed firmly, yet within 10 minutes of me locking the truck, I can come back out and it's unlocked. This is not home specific, it does it at work, it does it 100 miles from home, etc. Thought it was the remote, took the battery out, no good. Took it to the local Ford dealer, they had the truck two days and could not duplicate my issue. They even swapped out a control module, which worked for a day, but then the truck started to unlock itself again.

Anyone have any similar experience with this? If so, what was your local dealers solution?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know if I lock my keys in the ignition it unlocks my doors.

I hate to ask this, but it needs to ruled out, but is there someone playing a joke on you? What I mean is does someone else have a frob for your EX?

2010 Explorer XLT with 10988 miles on it seems to unlock itself at random intervals...
Bill,

Somebody is playing a very elaborate prank on you. ;)

Seriously though, I want to see you get to the bottom of this. I can help by forwarding your details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact info, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

I hate to ask this, but it needs to ruled out, but is there someone playing a joke on you? What I mean is does someone else have a frob for your EX?
I’m with you, TexasArmadillo; or maybe a ghost? :D

Cory

No, it's not a prank. My 2006 did the same thing. It would unlock evry 30 seconds, I tried the options for autolock, I disconnected all the door locks (physicaly pulled them out of the door pannels) plus the one in the cargo compartement thinking that one of the buttons is shorting, but even with all the switches unplugged, it was still doing it. I was told by Ford tech that it's smart junction box, which made sense since my interior lights are not working the way they should and they said it's also SJB. You can have it replaced for about 700. What I did is I built a relay box that cuts the power to the locks (via the fuse) and the locks operate only when the engine is running (it never unlocked with engine running), or the interior lights are on.

I was kinda of thinking a bad ignition keylock, and the SJB thinks the key is still in the ignition?

Interesting .....

Only one remote, so no joke. Also 100+ mile differences in locations and occurrences without anyone else but myself being the common denominator.

Sent you off 2 PM's (one long winded ;) the other with my information. Feel free to call if you like, any time after 6:30am or before 10pm is just fine with me.

Thanks in advance,

Yours in Fords,

Bill S.

Bill,

Somebody is playing a very elaborate prank on you. ;)

Seriously though, I want to see you get to the bottom of this. I can help by forwarding your details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact info, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

I’m with you, TexasArmadillo; or maybe a ghost? :D

Cory

Only one remote, so no joke. Also 100+ mile differences in locations and occurrences without anyone else but myself being the common denominator.

Sent you off 2 PM's (one long winded ;) the other with my information...
Bill,

OK, so they’re a REALLY dedicated prankster… ;) LOL Probably not.

I confirmed the messages got to my inbox safely. There are a few PMs before yours so I’ll reply when I can. :)

Cory

Bill,

OK, so they’re a REALLY dedicated prankster… ;) LOL Probably not.

I confirmed the messages got to my inbox safely. There are a few PMs before yours so I’ll reply when I can. :)

Cory

Cory,

No problem.

Bill S.

mrbill973,

Go Yuengling lager beer. Oh ya Cory your gay!

yuengling.jpg

Was the issue resolved ? Can you share the details ?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was the issue resolved ? Can you share the details ?
Thanks

We believe it to be caused by a third party remote start/lock/unlock module (Audiovox unit). Testing some things during the next few days to confirm or deny this assumption. Will update as we disconnect and reconnect items one at a time.

Bill S.

Back