2010 Wind noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Wind noise

10Limited

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer Limited
I recently purchased a 10 limited & anything above 55mph there is a significant amount of wind noise. (Wind rushing as if it were really high gusty winds outside) i thought it was coming from the windsheild because thats what it sounds like & the used dealership i bought it from had just replaced the windshield, so i thought maybe it was a poor install. I took it to my local glass shop & he disected it but said it appeared to be a good install with decent glass & couldnt find a problem. These explorers arent just this noisy are they? Maybe sunroof? But it sounds more like the windshield.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my car I get wind noise from the passenger side window if I roll it down a little bit the noise will go away.

Same here....On my X comes from right side.. Seems from passenger side mirror area. I read some where here its maybe the black weather stripping that goes around windshield. The high wind makes the weather stripping flap. Im going to make a video next time its windy. For the sound to happen I need 30-35+ mph winds. My 2 cents is that the side mirrors catching the wind.

Behind the door panels is a black poly something or other wind and moisture barrier. Its precisely attached to the door with butyl tape. Perhaps in the vehicles past somebody has take it off to replace a speaker, window motor, etc and didn't get it properly resealed or have fouled the tape. Only takes a few minutes to pull the door panels to have a look. You can get butyl tape at any home improvement store and search youtube for speaker replacement videos to learn how to remove the panel.

i get the same wind noise passenger side. It turns out to be the rubber seal the glass sits in, it pulls away from the door channel. Temp fix is I'll roll down the window and if i push it back with the palm of my hand its stops for a while. I just might break out the silicon. . .

i get the same wind noise passenger side. It turns out to be the rubber seal the glass sits in, it pulls away from the door channel. Temp fix is I'll roll down the window and if i push it back with the palm of my hand its stops for a while. I just might break out the silicon. . .

Could you post a pic of the area.....:)

same here. wind noise on the pass side. if window cracked open, it stops. never had time or remember to get it taken care of until i start driving and hear it.

i can't post a pic, but the note above is it. Its the rubber channel the window glass goes up/down in.

yup, its probably the rubber that the window sits in. I fixed mine by rolling the windows down, pulling the rubber off the door, running a bead of adhesive silicone and rolling the window back up.

Point me to the area......

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMAG0432_zps4bad36ac.jpg

Ahhhhhhhh, I have Ford ESP PremiumCare wonder if that is under Plan?

Going to do the fix this weekend...Should I go Permatex or 3m product? Also to hold in place really dont want to use duct tape? Im guessing need to let set over night. Im thinking paint tape not so hardn paint surface...:burnout: o:chug:

Back