2011 Explorer Oil Consumption Issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Oil Consumption Issues.

Pete_Metro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Hey Folks, so I have a 2011 Explorer. Bought it in 2012 with like 12K on it. It would do this thing where every once in a while when I would start it a lunch after it sat at work I would get a big puff of blue smoke and it seems to be taking a quart of oil or so between oil changes… new motor. At 25K… engine light goes on, starts running on 5 cylinders, pull it over and get it to the dealer. It sucked part of injector into the cylinder and trashed the cylinder, piston etc. The dealer put a new short block in under warranty.

But guess what… Now I’m going through two quarts of oil between changes, and the blue smoke issues still happens mid-day.. most days. I have had it in the dealer twice and they haven’t figured it out. Car is at 42K now. I’m assuming that the oil consumption issue and smoke cloud are in the heads that they reused. I’m guessing it’s a valve guide issue? Any other theories? Any ideas on how to test if it is one of the valve guides?

Thanks,

Pete

Sorry your thread went un-noticed. I moved it to our Stock 2011+ subforum where you should get replies.

Back