• Register Today It's free!

2011 Limited Engine Swap

PNL3rd

Reaction score
City, State
Myersville, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Hello. We are looking at a 2011 Limited with a toasted 3.5. The water went and there is coolant in the oil. The Limited has 99,000 miles on it and it is loaded. My wife likes it. I was gonna buy it, yank the engine and rebuild it. I have been hearing however the range of engines to swap goes all the way to the 2019s? I am thinking more horsepower lower mileage on a used engine.
Questions, and yeah I am sure this question has been raised so many times folks are tired of it but just the same here goes:
What is the range I can buy used and swap into it?
I know used engines are a worry so should I put a new water pump on it while i have it out?
Is it worth rebuilding the old engine?
I hear about Tarus and Flex engines. Worth it?

Thank you everyone in advance for any and all help on this.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The 3.5L engines in the 2011 to 2019 Explorer Limited all have 290 HP. The 3.5L V6 twin turbo produces 365 HP.
It seems the 2019 engine fitment guide shows it will fit the models down to the 2011. The Tauras and Flex are on the list.
I think that whichever way you go, changing the water pump, timing chain and its associated parts would be a good step.
There are several threads on engine swaps that you should be able to find using the handy 'Search' feature at the upper right.
Here is an interesting one; Engine Swap 3.5 to PI 3.7 successfully

Peter

What Peter said. The range of acceptable donors is huge so find one that’s the most acceptable combo of close to you and low miles.

It would be a good idea to pull one main bearing cap and one rod bearing cap off to inspect before it goes back in the vehicle, just to be on the safe side

Regardless of mileage, if this were my situation I’d replace; water pump, timing chains/tensioners, & spark plugs while it was on an engine stand. It’s not a terrible job in the vehicle but it’s infinitely easier out of the vehicle. I wrote up a diy thread with lots of pics that is stickied at the top of the forum to make it easier.

You will want to find an engine in the same year or close to it. The wiring was completely changed in 2016 with the new facelift. 2011 was the first year for the 5th gen Explorer and I know they changed minor things up till 2013 then it pretty much went unchanged till 2016. The easiest swap would be using an engine from 2011-13. A PTU from a newer explorer will bolt up to any engine and is recommended if you're going this far into it.

Back