• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer issue fixed

CheryliVA

Reaction score
City, State
Beloit, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer XLT
I purchased my 2012 Ford Explorer August 2018. Soon after My check engine light came on. The check engine light word itermitely would come on then back on. The trouble codes would switch between P2196 and 2198. During this time I had issues with rough starts after filling the gas tank and sometimes hesitation when driving at low speeds such as pulling in or out of parking stalls. I won't change an oxygen sensor without finding the cause of the error code. Finally the symptoms got worst. The vehicle acted like it was dieiseling while I pulled in a parking stall. This told me the vehicle was slightly flooding out. While checking the explorer forum I saw an issue a person was having with their explorer. He mention replacing a purge valve. I bought a Motorcraft CX-2409 purge valve. I had a friend replace it for me. The check engine light does not come on. My gas milage went from 19.50mpg to 24mpg. I am now thinking of buying a canister vac solenoid for more gas savings.
I want to say THANK YOU!! 😃 Cheryli

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Cheryl. :wave:
Thanks for sharing.

Peter

I purchased my 2012 Ford Explorer August 2018. Soon after My check engine light came on. The check engine light word would come on then back off. The trouble codes would switch between P2196 and 2198. During this time I had issues with rough starts after filling the gas tank and sometimes hesitation when driving at low speeds such as pulling in or out of parking stalls. I won't change an oxygen sensor without finding the cause of the error code. Finally the symptoms got worst. The vehicle acted like it was dieseling while I pulled in a parking stall. This told me the vehicle was slightly flooding out. While checking the explorer forum I saw an issue a person was having with their explorer. He mention replacing a purge valve. I bought a Motorcraft CX-2409 purge valve. I had a friend replace it for me. The check engine light does not come on. My gas mileage went from 19.50mpg to 24mpg. I am now thinking of buying a canister vac solenoid for more gas savings.
I want to say THANK YOU!! 😃 Cheryli
I just want to let others know that I have had success with my 2012 Ford Explorer's issue with the check engine light going on and off. I had the purge valve replaced with a new Motorcraft CX-2409 purge valve. It is still running great with the gas at 24mpg.

Thanks for reporting back Cheryl. :thumbsup:

Peter

Back