• Register Today It's free!

2012 explorer with p0446

seancon1

Reaction score
City, State
PORT CHARLOTTE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I purchased a good running used 2012 explorer limited with the CEL light on, only code has been p0446 BUT the fuel guage would only read 1/2 tank (a possible cause in some searches). Dropped the tank and found 1 sending unit had a broken wire. Replaced both sending units and guage works normal. DTE always was accurate from 1/2 tank to empty. P0446 is still present. Replaced the purge valve under the hood and still has p0466. Not much in this forum for 2011 up with this code other than
  • Missing Fuel cap
  • Incorrect fuel filler cap used
  • Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
  • Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
  • Vent control valve harness is open or shorted
  • Vent control valve circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty vent control valve
Since there is no fuel cap, and it does not seem to have a vent control valve on the tank... I'm stumped. I saw a post about spraying wd40 on the funnel that comes with the car to clean the flap. Didn't help.

Dorman shows 2 parts
911-535
Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid, 2012 does not seem to have this although its listed as "fits"

911-222

Vapor Canister Purge Valve, Replaced with motorcraft part.​

anyone have any thoughts?

Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recheck your fault code. "P0466" is not a valid code for your vehicle.

Hello... bueller... bueller

A P0446 is an electrical circuit fault related to the CANISTER VENT solenoid. It has nothing to do with the filler flapper.

Could be anything from a displaced connector, an open CV solenoid, a wiring fault or a fault in the PCM.

Back