• Register Today It's free!

New 2012 Explorer Ideas

RitzHammer

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
OK Gang. I've been following this site all year. Read all comments/issues with the 2011. Test drove five or six different models. Done all appropriate research on pricing. I'm getting close to taking the plunge and ordering my new 2012 Ex. My rough draft is an XLT with 4WD. I like the ingot silver with equipment group 205A charcoal leather interior. Adding tow package and navigation system. I have a $750 private offer certificate that expires soon. I'm looking for feedback/opinions:

1. Does Ford typically renew the private offer after it expires.
2. Thoughts on what type of rebate will come out for 2012's & when.
3. Anybody ordering/buying 2012's under invoice?
4. I hope many of the 2011 issues have been fixed by now.
5. Black bottom body side molding looks a little cheap-how durable?
6. What kind of actual mileage are you seeing with the 4WD's?
7. Thoughts on best wax to use, when, wait, etc.
8. Why is the tow hitch covered?

As I said, I'm looking for any/all advice based on current owners experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my 2012 order in at invoice...... Where did you come upon that 750 private cash certificate?

Real-world mileage for me, '11 Limited 302A, AWD: 18.6 mpg is my typical 30 min running average. I drive ~75-80 on the interstate and at the speed limit on all surface roads. I accelerate moderately at most from stops (usually passed by the driver in the adjacent lane). We live in a small town so most of my trips involve relatively few stops, 3 traffic lights and one stop sign in the first 4-5 miles.

To say I am disappointed with my mileage would be accurate. I do notice that the Explorer seems to slow down when I lift off the throttle, more so than any other car I recall driving.

"What kind of actual mileage are you seeing with the 4WD's?"

At first it was like 19.7, but I now have 4k miles on it and its 20.8 Driving is mostly highway, but about 30% rush hour highway (which can be worse than city around here - you'll get going 60 mph, come to complete stop and then accellerate up again - rinse 'n' repeat)

-J

Take advantage of the credit offer...not much out there anymore for incentives. It went down after I placed my order I got a deal at $1500...since they are selling well now its only $500...so use everything you can before it expires.

USE WHAT YOU GOT NOW!!
They most likely go down again...so again USE IT!!
Call Heritage Ford Tampa FL and they'll do $100 under invoice...from experience if you order and say that the vehicle isn't delievered by when the new incentives come out and they go higher they'll give you the higher incentive...if you take the one now and say it goes to nothing by the time you recieve your order you'll be grandfathered.
Don't bet on it...sarcasm in the back ground.
Very durable and in the long run you'll be happy with them easy to replace due to wear and tear
City about 17-20 mpgs....23 highway at 70mph....25-27 around 60 mph
Whatever you can afford every 6 months depending on color of vehicle
I would say asthetics but also I believe to keep your hitch from rusting when exposed to the elements.

1. Does Ford typically renew the private offer after it expires. Just depends on the market activity. They maintained a bunch last year through about March/April, then they were not renewed. If another discount comes out after you order, but before delivery, they will typically honor it. Just present it to the dealer while it is valid.
2. Thoughts on what type of rebate will come out for 2012's & when.dunno. depends on the market. My suspicion is that they will be less heavily promoted in year 2 of the new model
4. I hope many of the 2011 issues have been fixed by now.I had no issues other than getting MFT updated. Obviously others have. I spoke with a friends' wife who had a Limited, and used none of the features on MFT, and loved the vehicle.
8. Why is the tow hitch covered? aerodynamics & styling. You can leave the cover off if you want. I put it back on when I'm not towing as it also protects the hitch from road spray, dirt, etc.

My mileage has been in the 19-20mpg range with 5k miles on the odo

Real-world mileage for me, '11 Limited 302A, AWD: 18.6 mpg is my typical 30 min running average. I drive ~75-80 on the interstate and at the speed limit on all surface roads. I accelerate moderately at most from stops (usually passed by the driver in the adjacent lane). We live in a small town so most of my trips involve relatively few stops, 3 traffic lights and one stop sign in the first 4-5 miles.

To say I am disappointed with my mileage would be accurate. I do notice that the Explorer seems to slow down when I lift off the throttle, more so than any other car I recall driving.

Ford has a new technology that allows them to completely cut off fuel when decelerating and it also creates more engine drag. This may mean less brakes if you are coasting to red light.

I got my 2012 order in at invoice...... Where did you come upon that 750 private cash certificate?

Ajar - I got the $750 certificate merely by requesting an EX brochure from the dealer and getting on the mailing list. I think you can also do this via the Ford website and telling them you plan to buy in the next month. As I understand, the certificates are not "automatic", but fairly common depending on your location, regional supply/demand, etc., but they set an expiration date at about six weeks after being granted.

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I truly appreciate it. I'm just trying to figure out the best strategy and timing for placing the order. I'm sure the $750 certificate would be honored at the time of order, but doubt they would grandfather the 2011 rebate ($1000) on a 2012 order. It seems (as usual) that the mileage estimates might be a bit overstated, although it appears to improve after 5k - 10k break-in period. Several dealers are willing to sell at invoice, but none will go below (even though they still make over $1,000 in holdback). It is certainly a seller's market right now based on supply/demand, but I'll give Ford credit for trying to change their business strategy, avoid the Govt. assistance, and remain competitive.

Wax

There used to be an old wive's tale that you should wait to wax a new vehicle until the paint had some time to "cure". I'm sure with today's technology, new polymers, etc. that shouldn't be an issue (if it ever truly was one). I can honestly say that my 2000 Ex exterior looks very close to the day I bought it. I wax twice a year and it is always garaged. The only exception is the "Running Bars" that came with the Sport Package in 2000. They rusted badly in 2009 and I just took them off. They were a magnet for slush, snow, & salt in the winter.

Don't know.

Don't know.

Under is rare. Invoice is more common.

No.

Durable. Add mud flaps too.

"Search" is your friend. Been covered a TON. I average high 19's. Little stop & go driving.

RejeX Wax.

Look good, clean lines. May even be safer in a collision????

As I said, I'm looking for any/all advice based on current owners experience.

Ajar - I got the $750 certificate merely by requesting an EX brochure from the dealer and getting on the mailing list. I think you can also do this via the Ford website and telling them you plan to buy in the next month. As I understand, the certificates are not "automatic", but fairly common depending on your location, regional supply/demand, etc., but they set an expiration date at about six weeks after being granted.

Thanks..... I had previously gotten one but it has expired and I had not had any luck getting another in the last few months.... Time to try again!

While requesting my brochure I noticed a new incentive for the 2012 EX I had not seen before. Does anyone know what the '2 yr/30k mile limited maintenance plan' for $220 is? Program #72028.... must take delivery by 9/30/11....

I saw that too, it could be either two things.

1. Maintenance plan like oil changes for the first two years or.

2. An additional 2 years and 30k on top of the current bumper to bumper warranty.

But I'm need to double check with a dealers.

"Search" is your friend. Been covered a TON.

Point well taken:)

Based on a few searches, I notice you've used many wax / polish products over the years. What sends RejeX to the top of your list right now?

I do appreciate your comments. Thanks!

:chug:

Back